View post (Big Brother)

View thread

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/20/2005 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonwhat???? So your more likely to get mugged and killed on your average street/corner than on streets/corners where crime rates are higher?
That doesn't make any sense.

It makes perfect sense...average streets/corners are abundant and plentiful.You spend more time on them.You have less a chance to fall off walking 5 feet of really thin rope than 5 miles of really thick(please don't over anylyze that analogy).

A minute ago you were saying criminal activity isn't reduced by presence of cameras now your saying it's reduced only where cameras are. Well, if the use of cameras becomes more widespread, wouldn't that lower crime rates in more and more places, especially on your "average streets/corners" where these new cameras are going?

eh..I never said criminal activity isn't reduced.Heres what I said:quote "No,your not safer with those cameras...you'll still get mugged and the guy will probly get away..even if he gets caught,its no thanks to the cameras."How will the camera save you?Your 'chance' of being attacked is lowerd,but it won't stop an attack hence "your not safer".And again the 'chance' of the criminal being caught/identified will increase,but the camera dosn't deserve a pat on the lens.Life isn't a "world's most shocking video's" show where every crook is identified and caught by surveillance cameras and everything ends well.Mabey this was misunderstood some posts ago?

If criminal activity is reduced in areas that cameras monitor, then you've LOST the argument as to whether or not cameras reduce crime rates. Clearly they DO. If the use of cameras are expanded (the SUBJECT of this thread), it would lower the crime rate, period, end of discussion.

There is no argument that they reduce crime rates.The SUBJECT(which seems to change in threads if you notice)will never come to pass(that being your average street/corner nook and cranny being monitored).Why?Because they are 'average'.

This doesn't really have to do with anything, but since you brought it up: Lights and crowds are a crime deterent just like cameras, so tell me again why cameras wouldn't deter violent crime if lights and crowds do?

Your right,it has nothing to do with anything.Again,I never said cameras don't deter crime.

What are you talking about? Nobody's going to say: "Oh, there's a camera, so I can be an idiot and walk down the street at three am blindfolded with four hundred-dollar bills hanging out of my pocket."

My point is: Why would cameras reduce awareness? This, as opposed to crime reduction, is not statistically proven, nor does it make much sense.

hmmm..in what case would someone do that :confused: (mabey extremely drunk..?)

Your point is:Why would cameras reduce awareness?Because they promote a false sense of security.I personally,will not rely on a 'reduced chance' of being attacked and be unaware of my surroundings,possible threats e.c.t."Oh my GAWD,i'm shocked that something like that could happen.I don't believe it!There was a camera there!" :eek:
Try once,fail twice...