View post (Big Brother)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/19/2005 4:22 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartPfft...so they have more incentive to take more drastic measures.A ski mask wouldn't cross thier minds would it?[/quote]
You know, there's a lot of things you can wear the Quarter and nobody will bat an eye at you, but a ski mask is not one of those things.

If somebody is knocking over a 7-11, they can drive up, bail out of the car, do their business, jump back in the car and (hypothetically) make their escape and still successfully hide their identity.

However, in a lot of urban centers (especially, say the French Quarter of New Orleans), you can't do that. You have to park, you have to walk to your target/victim and and if you're walking around in 90+° weather wearing a ski mask, you're GOING to call attention to yourself, so scratch that idea.

So, why not find a victim, put on the ski mask, mug them, get away, take off the ski mask and then make your escape? Well, you can do that but the problem is that you're on OTHER cameras while you're not wearing the mask and you're just as busted just as soon as the police match your clothing to the dude in the ski mask.

Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartGreat,the corner of 4th street is saved :rolleyes:[/quote]
And the net effect is lower crime rates in the city without violating anybody's privacy as they are watching PUBLIC areas.

[QUOTE=chucklivesoninmyheart]Those cameras don't suture stab wounds and stop bullets...

Neither do well-lit areas nor most crowds, but both somehow manage to discourage attacks.

[QUOTE=chucklivesoninmyheart]Thats my main disagreement(not that anyone brought it up)...that a person should feel they have no need to be aware of anything because cameras will deter any threats.

So we should steer away from doing things that make potential criminals say "ahh, screw it" because if we feel safer by virtue of being safer, then we're not as safe as we were when crime rates were higher?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons