View post (Snobbery!)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/17/2005 6:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseThats the attitude I hate. So what if they arent as good with their equipment as people with cheaper stuff...

The lesson I would take from that is that your technical level and knowledge of your instrument is one level more important than the quality of your equipment. The equipment matters, no doubt, but to splash on expensive equipment because your idols (who no doubt are gifted musicians) sound awesome and play on and thru these equipment is to miss the point. They sound the way they do, in a very large part, due to their ability as musicians. The lovely equipment is just icing on the cake.
Expensive icing never made a poorly baked cake taste better, though it might make it look better.
That's the lesson I see there.
I also feel that guitar and gear makers take advantage of the sentiments you express (that you buy stuff because your idols play them) to rip people out of money. Coz when you buy a so and so signature model, that, I think, is essentially what's happening. And don't signatures always cost more than standards? Why should I want to have a guitar made to Petrucci's specifications? Maybe he has long fingers, and looking at my short ones, I'd probably prefer a guitar with a thinner neck, or a lower action. Maybe Steve Vai likes the sound and look of Brazilian rosewood, but I'd prefer big leaf maple! I'M AS HUMAN AS THEY ARE, GODAMMIT!! (Ok, that is said with a hint of jealousy coz these dudes are not really human, not when they play their guitars).
Some time back, I happened on this guy at a church band rehearsal. He had a very nice, sexy, lovely Yamaha acoustic. Played durn well too, Me thinks, man, his guitar is so nice, no wonder he plays that well. So I hand him my very cheap (the equivalent of US$ 50, yes, fifty only) no brand (Pearl Blossoms from China :rolleyes: ) wannabe acoustic guitar and tell him to play. And he sounds awesome still. You can tell the difference in the sound between the two guitars, yes, but he still sounds awesome.
Just so you know, my biggest object of desire right now is an acoustic from Taylor, the 614 Tobacco Sunburst CE. Guess how much it lists for? Over US$3,000. Would I buy it if I had the money? Absolutely. The thing is, if money was no object, everyone would buy all these gear. But since money happens to be an object, and we happen to have other things needing money (like family), we are forced to be keen with what we buy and the value we get from our money. And it's coz of these keeness and need to get value for money that we realize, heck, this 2K guitar isn't even all that! But if moeny wasn't an issue, I bet that a lot of us wouldn't make this realization. Like they say, necessity is nearly always (but not always) the mother of invention.