View post (Snobbery!)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/17/2005 7:22 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Play whatever gear works for you!

If you dig around in the archives, you'll find some threads with exchanges between myself and James8831 explaining why I'm unlikely to ever own another Gibson.

I've owned several Gibsons and Fenders back in the day, but there is just no way to justify the prices, given the crappy quality control. At premium prices, you should not have to sort through a bunch of guitars to find a 'good one'. They're all supposed to be good ones!

I currently have 4 Yamahas, 5 Washburns, and a custom Odyssey. There's a particular vintage model of Gretsch I'd like to own, and an old Yamaha I'd like to find for sentimental reasons, but the closest I'm likely to come to buying another new guitar is an assembled-from-custom-parts Tele made to my own specs. And it will only remotely resemble anything comming off the Fender production line.

Same with amps. Idiots with more money than good sense have driven the price of old Marshall and Vox amps to obscene heights. And Fender amps are getting there too. Now, people are scouring the landscape looking for old Traynor amps, and doing 'plexi mods' to make them sound like Marshalls. So Traynor prices are starting to climb. Magnavox-era Ampegs are starting to gain some cork-sniffer cachet, putting them at risk of becoming ruinously over-priced. I expect that Garnet amps (another fine old Canadian line) will become uber-expensive in a few years. And have any of you looked at the prices for old-production EL34 tubes! :eek:

Then there's the effects snobbery/collecter's item/vintage-is-better BS. A member of another forum I spend some time on just sold his old Arbiter Fuzz-Face for almost $800US! And it wasn't even all original! The components to build one cost about $50, if you go top-of-the-line for the case and hardware.

My next tube amp will be one I design and build myself. The gear trip is starting to look more like a Hell-bound train, and I ain't ridin' no mo....[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons