View post (Snobbery!)

View thread

Shadowborn
Shadowborn
04/15/2005 7:42 am
Never felt the urge to start a thread here in the "Open Discussion" forum before, but as I was browsing the other forums here tonight I came across a subject that was touched on briefly that I really wanted to comment on.
And that subject was music equipment snobbery.

Now, I realize that most of the time you get what you pay for. That being said, I also know for a fact that when you buy a "popular brand" piece of equipment; you are spending at least one quarter of the purchase price on name alone. In other words, if you get right down to brass tacks, part of the purchase is dedicated to "Bragging rights".

I've been playing guitar seriously now for around 17 years, and I've had countless opportunities to compare various brands of equipment with the many musicians I've jammed with. Now granted, I've not tried every brand out there, but I have been fortunate to hear many of the "Big" names.
And to be honest, most of the time, I was very unimpressed.

The equipment that always seemed to impress me the most was the companies that most people snubbed. Yet whenever these "Purists" would hear these items without knowing the brand-name, they would always remark on how good the item sounded. But let them see what it was, and then the degrading remarks and putdowns would soon start.

Me personally? I have tried out and played through many "Big name" pieces of equipment. But after years of comparing, I've settled happily on a set-up that actually sounds awesome and saved me thousands of dollars.

I guess what started me on this rant is that I've seen this type of snobbery in huge amounts right here in these forums. And the people that I have introduced this sight to have also commented on it.
What really amazes me is when someone writes in with something like:
"I'm looking to buy a good amp, but I'm on a tight budget! Any suggestions?"

Then this individual will get replies along the lines of: "Get a Marshall!", "Get a Mesa-Boogie!", "Get a Fender!", etc., etc..

???????????????????

Man!!!!! The word "budget" must have a completely different meaning outside of my area! Let me explain something to a select few of you out there. A LOT of us musicians out here in the real world are NOT rolling in the money. A LOT of us would love to be able to spend thousands of dollars on music equipment, but some of us have priorities that must come first, it's called a "family". ALL OF US down-to-earth musicians out there consider it really annoying when someone ridicules that equipment that was either chosen, or was the best that could be afforded.

Well, I've ranted enough. Just thought I would voice my opinion on this subject, and see what some of your opinions might be. So I'll go put my armor on now, and await the onslaught....... :cool:
If eyes are the mirror to the soul, you will see yourself as I see you