View post (Bob Dylan)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
04/30/2001 5:46 am
Hmm, as I said, I adore Dylan, but I'm not sure I agree Joseph. What was interesting about Dylan was that he cultivated his image very shrewdly, along with his manager Al Grossman. It is well documented that he lied about his upbrtinging in order to romanticise his life to be more like his idol's, Woody Guthrie. Similarly, though I love his rock music, I think it was more than just a musical decision...
Also, after having signed his record deal, most of his friends admit that he was always extremely arrogant, always assuming that he would be huge.
Rather than get upset by this, I admire his openness. For people to say that you only need to be passionate about music is one thing. To think that anyone who has made it as a rock star hasn't been hugely ambitious is I think untrue. I have a feeling Kurt Cobain was an exeption to soem extent, he wasn't after the stardom that his music brought, and that is why he is no longer with us. For others, I think it is a mix of ambition and love of music. For those who have only ambition, they are people everybody hates, and the people who love only music are the people who we always wonderr why they didn't "make it". DOes anybody get what I'm saying, because I get the feeling I am rambling.
As for having him around for tea, I would love to, as long as he didn't treat me as he does some of his interviewers.

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".