Some good Credit Card advice:

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
[font=trebuchet ms]Once in a very rare while, I find something among the spam that is actually worth passing along. The following piece arrived in my Inbox today, and I think it's worth sharing.[/font]

[font=arial]ATTORNEY'S ADVICE -- NO CHARGE

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company. Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your chequebook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3. When you are writing cheques to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SIN# printed on your cheques. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, SIN, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc. were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the two national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Insurance number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away. This weekend someone turned it in. It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc. if it has been stolen:
1.) Equifax Canada: 1-877-249-2705
2.) TransUnion: 1-877-525-3823

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything. But if you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.

Remember to delete the headers from email before you forward it. Delete everything from "Original Meassage" right down to the start of the actual message. Don't send a bunch of people's e-mail addresses out into the world along with some advice about better security. (DUH!) That's just too ironic.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms]This one opened my eyes to a bunch of stuff I had never even considered! Be careful out there![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Hammurabi
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

That reminds me...clicky.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
Originally Posted by: HammurabiThat reminds me...clicky.

LMAO!!!

I can't wait to do that!
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
joshers
lmao very nice!
# 4
PonyOne
pHj33r my v1r1l17y
my friend Karl used to sign his "KRAZY KARL!!!!" with exactly four exclamation points, a backwards K, and a smiley face at the end. one time his roommate jacked one of his cards that he kept in his drawer as a last resort, and started charging stuff to. the bank called him to let him know it'd been stolen, they took notice because they gave it a signature-looking signature.

my sig is crazy too :cool:
more from the self-proclaimed king of long-winded posts
Fox Magic Jiron - Always with us
now with more long-wind power: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tristan_s/
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
I don't even sign the back of my credit cards. No one even checks.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, I know there's a lot of slop in the system, but the point I wanted to get acrross is that if you lose your card(s), some serious bad things can happen. I'm hoping this info can help people to minimize the damage if they part company with their plastic.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI don't even sign the back of my credit cards. No one even checks.

I didn't sign the back of my debit card (only one I have) and they check it all the time around here.

Oh well, doesn't bother me one bit. I'd rather they did.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]I'm hoping this info can help people to minimize the damage if they part company with their plastic.[/font]

...And people think wallet chains are just for show.
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
crazywolf
Samson
Here in the US they just passed a law allowing you to get free credit checks so you can see if there is anything fishy with your credit. (ya, that is the technical term) It should also help with identy fraud. Not too sure all the specifics on it, but I think you can get three free credit check a year.
1 Peter 2:16
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
What they fail to mention crazywolf,is that,each and every time you or anyone else does a credit check,it damages your credit score slightly.

Never apply for credit if you think you may be denied.
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
Akira
Originally Posted by: HammurabiThat reminds me...clicky.

Rofl! That was ace. :D
You can now find me >here<
# 12
kingdavid
If I had a credit card, the person doing the most damage to my financials would be me.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
[font=trebuchet ms]Did ya hear about the guy whose wife's credit card was stolen?

He didn't report it 'cause the monthly bill went down![/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Back in high school I used to sign everything with additional stars and a smiley face.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsBack in high school I used to sign everything with additional stars and a smiley face.

That's...umm...unique...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 16
crazywolf
Samson
I've just given up on making my signature legible when signing for my credit card. It's gotten so bad that a Dr. would be like wtf? Sometimes it's just a squiggly line at best.
1 Peter 2:16
# 17
PRSplaya
Full Access
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Did ya hear about the guy whose wife's credit card was stolen?

He didn't report it 'cause the monthly bill went down![/font] :D

That's hillarious!! :D good one LATS!, and oh so true to boot
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 18
Akira
Lmao, i'll remember that one LATS. :D
You can now find me >here<
# 19