View post (Peavey Grind™ Bass 4 BXP NTB)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/19/2005 5:59 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayais that bass neck heavey or pretty balanced? I'm looking for a decent cheap (isnt' that almost an oxymoron?) bass for recording, and just because I like messing around on the bass, but every one I've played is very neck heavey. Also, what kind of wook are the wings? They look kind of like a mix between rosewood, wenge, and walnut(not grayish brown enough though).

It's fairly balanced, I think. If I set it down on my lap and let it rest against my body, it eventually drops to the neck a bit, but I've never felt it was neck heavy.

I think you'll find any bass with an offset waist is going to feel less neck-heavy than otherwise because of all that extra mass on the bridge end of things.

As to the wings, they're Imbuya -- has a good, "growly" tone. The neck/central core is Mahogany and Maple.

For the price, it's really quite the instrument, but I would caution you to make sure you play the one you're buying... I've seen a more recent one that aren't as heavy as mine is and I don't think it sounded nearly as good. Then again, the five string Grind sitting next to it was stellar.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons