View post (Seymour Duncan, or Dimarzio pickup for an Ibanez RG?)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/26/2005 7:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]I've been using a DP101 Dual Sound in my Yamaha SBG1000 since '86. It's a 4-wire version of the Super Distortion. If you like 70's music, that's your baby. I prefer the wiring versatility of the DP101 over the 2-wire DP100, but I bought new, so I had that option. The Super Distortion is the sound of Classic Rock. That's the pickup that started the whole replacement pickup industry.

It works best with a high value of volume pot resistance. 250 k Ohms will make it sound dark and muffled. Try a 500 k pot, or even a 1 meg.[/font]

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm a "classic rock" kinda guy for the most part- makes ya feel old, huh? But I'm rediscovering the guitar again, and want more "oomph" from my Ibananez' with a grittier, metal-ish kinda sound. So your info has decided it for me- not the type of pickup for me. I can get the 70's sound out of my Fenders. I was never much of a guitar modder; pretty much stock everything, so your last coupla lines is Greek to me, lol. But your info is enough to have allowed me to make an informed decision. Thanks much.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)