View post (Noise, noise, noise)

View thread

Hankyaku
Hankyaku
02/14/2005 8:31 pm
Greets ppl!

I bought a WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah this weekend, and plugged it in. First, it was cool. Yeah it's still cool. But I hear a tremendous amount of noise after playing for a while!
My gear is the following (in connection order): guitar (passive pickup)-> WD-7 Wah pedal-> AX1500G Multi-effect processor-> PC (SBLive)-> old SANYO HiFi AMP-> Speaker

I don't have a guitar amp, I like to use the given abilities of my PC (recording, MIDI stuff, etc.).

Of course, I did some testing. First, I plugged got out the Wah from the system. No noise. Then I began playing. Just some soft things, but then I turned on distortion. Played a while, no noise. Played a bit more no noise. Then I turned up the volume on the amp, and I heard the noise. It was a bit different than the one I heard with the wah. I heard it for a while then it was just gone. No noise.
I repeated the thing for a while and the noise came several times but the frequency of appearance was non deterministic. Just came, and gone away, and that.
I plugged the wah in again, and it was the same effect as without the wah but the noise was different, the same I've heard for the first time. It was like a vacuum cleaner, or some sort of that. And after that it was gone again. Played awhile, noise again, waited a while, gone again.
It came absolutely unpredictable, there was nothing spectacular before I heard the noise.

So I figured that the problem must be before the wah. Maybe in the pickups. I lowered the volume of the pickups to nil, and guess what? I've heard german radio chatter when I increased the volume to the max on the amp.

Any ideas what to do now? I checked the wah, and it has a constant gain when operating. I tried to decrease the input level of the wah (so that the input current of the opamp inside swallows the noise), but still noisy.

One of my cables is home made custom. It has a metal sheath shield, it should be even better than the Ibanez "noiseless cable".

So guys, if you have any ideas where that damn noise could come from please don't wait to tell it!
If you'd like to, I can send the "noises" in MP3. They're funny :) I think they may be characteristic to a source, if someone has a plethora of experience. Maybe they can help.

Thanks a lot.