ho ho its valentines day!

paradyme
paradyme
02/15/2005 10:37 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsdude... this is the first valentines day that I've actually had a girlfriend to spend it with... I spent quite a bit of money on flowers, a solid silver necklace, dinner, and a movie... but making out in the back of the movie theater was all worth it... I'm sorry but I'm going to disagree with most of you and say that valentines day is a great holiday... I'm sorry but my girlfriend takes priorty over my guitar... but that's okay cause I get both :p

hey man, any day that you have someone in your life that you care about is a rockin day and great in general, so it's cool to not practice today. ;)

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/15/2005 3:22 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraValentines Day, Easter, Xmas. All these "religious" holidays are in the name of consumerism. Such a coincidence that God would appear to be a capitalist.

*sorry if any religious person reads this, I do not wish to offend anyone.

All but Valentines Day has a legitament reason for it's celebration. Valentines day is truely a commercial holliday. The other's have become very commercial as well, but that's just something that's going to happen.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/15/2005 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaAll but Valentines Day has a legitament reason for it's celebration. Valentines day is truely a commercial holliday. The other's have become very commercial as well, but that's just something that's going to happen.

I agree. Every one of those holidays has a meaning, besides that craphole that has come and gone.... Valentine's Day.

I didn't get my other baby (my guitar) anything.

Did she mind? No, she just responded by letting me play with her (hee hee) and gave me no feedback whatsoever. Now, the old lady on the other hand..........
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/16/2005 9:53 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraOh the ambiguity.

It drives you wild, doesn't it?
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
02/16/2005 10:38 pm
ah yes yoga i get ya now
"Chiropracter, now thats C H"
great stuff!!!

wow you leave a thread for a couple of days an bam! 5 pages appear!

yup i totally agree with the consumerism aspect of it all, i mean my god i spent dunno how much on gettin flowers to my girl in uni. however, ill do it, money is money and not important really (yes i would like more of it and yes i know you need it to do anythin and yes there are more important things to be doin with it) besides havin a girl is all bout makin her feel special an if doin stuff on a certain commercial holiday goes towards that then hey i'll do it. and you all know if ya get somethin nice especially if it aint that expected it makes ya feel good.

hey anyway anyone treat their guitars/baby's (or whatever other names ya got for them pieces of wood with strings on) by learnin sexual healing? or anyother love songs? if ya didn't then ya damn well should! you aint treatin em proper!
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/17/2005 2:21 pm
I learned the theme song to "King of the Hill", since that's our favourite show to watch together (me and my guitar that is).

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/18/2005 1:19 pm
I used to love it, but I haven't seen it around in a while. Now I get my kicks watching King of The Hill and The Family Guy

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/18/2005 8:21 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaNow I get my kicks watching... ...The Family Guy

I love that show! futurama is pretty funny too
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 8
paradyme
paradyme
02/18/2005 9:26 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraValentines Day, Easter, Xmas. All these "religious" holidays are in the name of consumerism. Such a coincidence that God would appear to be a capitalist.

*sorry if any religious person reads this, I do not wish to offend anyone.

I don't think it's necessarily offensive to religious people, as I myself am one also. I do think that it is a spurrious connection. If we consider that these holidays seem to have been consumerized (on a truly massive scale) first by the US, we see that the inevitable result of American multinational corporate interest spreading this consumptive culture in a neo-colonial colonization that to date is qualitatively similar to the Spanish conquests of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, yet quantitatively unlike any colonial episopde in human history, is a homogenization of global cultures based upon a common consumerist ethic.

This homogenization even includes the United States itself, which may demographically spring mainly from the Judeo-Christian and most especially Western Christian traditions. This culture is diluted through a secularization of society that still retains its holidays and pleasantries, although one would be hard-pressed to find many who understand the significance of these holidays. For instance, how many people knew that Valentine was an early Christian martyr? Or how many have wondered why this ostensibly Christian commemoration is characterized by the thematic and charicatured use of pagan religious symbols.

Since we see the secularization and commodification of these holidays rising in tandem, it is a spurrious connection betwen the commodification of these holidays and the original religious persuasion of any demographic subset. Instead, we must realize that this massive export is the combination of a capitalist system which needs growth and new markets to perpetuate itself and the culture from which it comes; they spread what they know, yet paradoxically, they have diluted it to the point where it is essentially meaningless even to them. So while I personally see these holidays (and not Valentine's- more like CHristmas and Easter, as what they are: the celebration of what I believe to be the birth and resurrection of God, most people think in terms of santa claus and the easter bunny- easter is totally bogged down in pagan myths... that could be a whole other debate). So um.. yeah... I'm gonna shut up now. ;)

peace
-Sage Francis
# 9
paradyme
paradyme
02/18/2005 9:28 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraThe theme tune to Ren and Stimpy is also quite a cool one to learn, that show rocks. Anyone else like Ren and Stimpy?

yo Ren and Stimpy pwnz. One of the greatest cartoons ever! If you like that, check out Invader Zim. Different kind of twisted, but outstanding nonetheless.
-Sage Francis
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.