View post (I need some advice on starting a band!)

View thread

paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 2:49 am
What up man?

So a band I was in lost its drummer and bass player due to some differences in opinion on where things were going- one side wanted to do 60's freak out psychadelic music and the other wanted to get more involved with heavier R&B and groove oriented music.

My boy and I were left basically to get a new band together (anyone who's replaced a rhythm instrument will know how much this eats), and we found a drummer who was amazing, but most importantly a cool guy- my boy found him online and talked with him to see what he was doing and all that and we got together and jammed. It clicked and we started practicing as a 3 piece until we found a bass player.

To make an almost year-long story much shorter, the trick is networking- go to shows, talk to people at shows at music stores, online, whatever, get together and jam- you can usually tell right away who will work or not- we auditioned like 5 bass players and we were so-so on all of them. Most were decent, some were good, but none of them fit with us personally. Then this one cat showed up and just blew us all away- and we knew we had to get this kid in the band. The key was a lot of persistence and patience, and above all networking.

Getting out there and meeting other musicians is huge. It's one reason why even if I don't like a band or a style, I never talk negatively about other musicians- you never know who'll you'll play with or who you might be working in a band with, or who knows whom. But then again RI is a mad small place.

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis