View post (Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
01/21/2005 5:28 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenSee I don't think Hendrix elevated the guitar in real musical terms. In social terms? Yes. But really now, how can you say Hendrix elevated the guitar like nobody before him when you look at what guys like Segovia and Reinhardt did?

~Incidents

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Different strokes for different folks. I definitely think Hendrix elevated guitar playing in a quantum leap. The little riffs in between chords, feedback, his unique sound- that's what set him apart from everyone else. Yeah, I really believe Hendrix elevated things in "real musical terms".I agree Reinhardt was amazing, no doubt about that, but do you honestly believe Reinhardt elevated guitar playing as much as Hendrix? How many times have you heard someone say, "whoa, that dude is as good as Reinhardt!" I saw Segovia live, and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed; well, I think he was in his 90's then.

But we were talking about technique- what about Hendrix' technique makes you think it sucks? Honestly, I'm confused by what you mean by that. Do you mean that he didn't play fast and clean, like...say, DiMeola or Mcglaughlin? 20 yrs. ago I could play every lick Dimeola and McLaughlin did...FASTER! But does that make me a good musician? I think I sucked as a musician, but I was a great TECHNICIAN.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)