View post (Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
01/21/2005 3:18 am
I first heard of Buchanan about 30 yrs. ago in a PBS documentary called something like "The World's Best Unknown Guitar player". I was still a beginner guitar player and was astounded by his diversity. Thing is, I didn't catch his name; years later I read a Guitar Player article on him, and found out who he was. Saw him live probably 10 times. He had some problems with drinking, and one time I went to see him, he opened with a 40 min. jazzy solo of "Misty" and the crowd wanted to kill him, lol. But when he was on, he'd blow the roof off. He's the reason why I got a Tele. If memory serves me right, I believe he's the first guitarist recorded using artificial harmonics- metal-heads can thank him for that, I think. Anyway, he's in my top 5 of favorite guitarists. And yeah, "Messiah" is amazing; you should hear it live. Jeff Beck's "Cause We Ended as Lovers" was dedicated to Buchanan. That's some lunchlady you got there, lol
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)