View post (Zero fret)

View thread

pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/13/2004 1:38 pm
Well you could build a guitar with a zero fret to use the buzz feiten system, the distance between the zero fret and the first fret would have to be recalculated, retrofitting the zero fret on a guitar off the shelf would be some major labor/expense, nothing is impossible, just not always practical, I take it that you have this zero fret fetish because you are a Brian May fan? I would have to say Brian May and his Dad were two fairly smart fellows, they put together a pretty good sounding guitar, with some good bits of machining and some good ideas, but I'd also have to say they were lucky that it didn't come out sounding like an amplified cardboard box, because the construction is very unorthodox and even kind of crude in spots, I guess if it had sounded bad we would have never known about it, the final test is the finished product, is Burns still making the replica models?..................... Axle, the zero fret is located where the nut traditionally is, the open string would be vibrating between the zero fret and the bridge.........