View post (pop vs. rock)

View thread

03/16/2001 2:35 am
I think it all comes down to this: you can't write off ALL of today's music as trash; god damn, music is such a vast area how could you? But you can get fed up with MAINSTREAM music (I'm talking about Spears, N'Sync, Limp Bizkit, etc.) which should be regarded as a product or image, like a new pair of Nike's. So don't get all down just because you're not seeing anything interesting or deep on MTV, because it's out there. Music has always and will always be out there.

Btw, one thing I really do miss in mainstream music these days is the lack of: 1) Cool vocals- remember how Plant, Roth, Tyler, Axl Rose and the like didn't just speak lyrics but really SANG! And not just sing lyrics all the time but used their voices as instruments as versatile as any other instrument, and; 2) The lack of meaning in lyrics. I haven't heard a mainstream song very recently that talks abouts true emotion. True emotion doesn't sell as easily as "Hit my baby one more time" or "Rollin'", or "Pimpin Deyz Bitches"...