View post (Shredding, Sweeping, Sliding, Speeding)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
03/13/2001 12:33 am
I've heard it, and I tend to agree with Bof. I'm colored by cultural biases like a predilection for melodic playing. The guitarrists I dig are guys like Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, etc. I mostly listen to horn players, actually. Miles Davis and Chet Baker are some of my faves. This isn't the only music I like, of course, but it's the kind of that melodic sensibility that I tend to strive for in my playing. Not that I don't try to play fast, but I definitely treat technique as a means rather than an end. Rather than trying to derive musical ideas from interesting techniques, I try to develop my technique in order to play the musical ideas I'm already interested in.
For these reasons, Bof's stuff isn't the kind of stuff that I gravitate towards in my playing, or my listening. I can understand what Magnus felt. Still, I see what he's trying to do, and I totally respect it. I don't think it's just showing off; he's trying to do something musical with it. Whether or I or anybody else thinks he achieves that goal is subjective, and he definitely doesn't sound like everybody else, there's no denying that. I also sympathize with him, because I'm sure that he's had to put up with a lot of crap from people saying that he's just wanking, that he's not really playing music, and that he's "just playing a lot of notes" which isn't fair.