Soldano samples for PRS Payer

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/13/2004 2:41 pm
sure man Ill stick 'em through my spectrum analysis software if you like, I should be able to point to which frequencies need a boost and which need to be cut !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/15/2004 2:25 pm
Clip has been sent. Have you had a listen yet?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/15/2004 3:38 pm
I got it however Im having some computer bother. I had a go yesterday and after two crashes I gave up !

I will have another go this evening. i can see some spectral differences which may be useful !
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/16/2004 12:05 am
Well Id have stuck em both is HarBal but it wont take MP3 files ! Baaa !!!

However I had a go with the FFT meter in Wavelab and the match (I looked at your left channel is pretty good.

The one I did has a bit more bottom end (like below 100 Hz) and Id probably EQ that out any way.

I have a bit less Oooomph between 100 and 500 Hz but other than that it looks really good !!
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/16/2004 1:34 pm
Glad to hear it. The bean can be a little fustrating at times, but once you get it dialed in, it's worth it (at least to me). I can't wait to get my power amp working again so I can try it out in my live/big rig. Any other models you'd like to hear, or see if I can get close to?

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/16/2004 1:41 pm
I think I'm just going to stick with my podpro for the time being !

Im busy putting off a big computer upgrade which is going to be horrendous as Im going to go all Mac and bin the PC. Im trying not to think about how much that will cost but I suspect It will be around 5 or 6 K, even stripping what I can off the old machine !

Pants !
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/16/2004 1:51 pm
Ouch! That's gonna hurt the 'ol pocket book.

Actually, If I still had my POD pro, I would probably stick with it instead of upgrading. But, if you're a "tweaker" then the xt is a dream come true. That's probalby why my playing isn't quite up to par, for all the time I spend tweaking this and that, and going through gear like it's going out of style :rolleyes:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/19/2004 2:49 pm
I just did a little test with the last Soldano model (minus the tube screamer) with it as a rythm track with other guitar parts and a bass. The final verdict....SWEET! It fit perfect in the mix! I was doing a remake of the David Allan Coe song "The Ride", but a little more rocked out. I used a Plexi model with a tube screamer for the lead part, and it turned out great as well. Actually, I don't ever remember any of my old POD recordings turning out this well. I don't know if it's because I know how to set up the amps better or better POD, but either way, I'm very happy now. Now if I could just learn how to use compression when setting up the whole song for the final mix :rolleyes:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/19/2004 3:30 pm
Like EQ, compression is your best friend !

What you are doing is taking a track and squashing the loudest bits which gives the impression of boosting the quieter bits by allowing you to play the track louder with out blowing the roof off.

What a compressor does is look for signal that is above a user defined threshold. When it finds this signal (above the threshold) is applies a volume reducing algorithm which will reduce the signal by a ratio defined by the user. This ratio can be anything from 1: infinite (limiting or gating) which will flatten the tops of your peaks to very gentle compression, where not many DBs will be removed. At a ratio of 2:1, the compressor will remove one decibel for every two decibels you are above the threshold.

So controls:
Threshold (determines when compression kicks in),
Ratio (how much compression or volume reduction is applied after the threshold is reached.
Attack (how fast the compression occurs after the threshold has been released and compression is applied (for guitars I set this quite fast)
Release (how fast the compression is aborted after the signal returns below the threshold.
Level (an overall post compression boot in signal strength.

Easy !!!
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/19/2004 9:01 pm
should compression be added to each track, or after they've all been made into one track?

Also, same question^ for eq

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/19/2004 9:24 pm
Both as required. The only thing to really watch for is over compressing your cymbals as this results in the truncation of the tail and the cymbal will only sound for like half the normal time.

vocals require much compression (from a whisper to a scream etc) and it is also used to tighten up drums.

As far as applying compression to the mix, there are two schools of thought or "sounds" those of the east coast and those of the west coast however that is a story for another day.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.