View post (* Guitartricks Convention: Please Read! *)

View thread

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/01/2004 8:28 pm
Greetings my fellow guitartricksters. Have you ever thought about how cool it'd be if we could all get together somewhere in person and have a convention? No? Okay, so it's just me and I'm a weirdo. I realize the likelihood of this ever happening is very, very small. It costs alot to travel abroad and people love their anonymity. I can certainly respect that.

But still, wouldn't it be cool to know where we should have our convention if it were to ever happen? I have taken care of that with a program I created called gtgtg, which stands for "guitartricks get together". It works by taking the latitude/longitude information of a given person's location, aggregates that data in with all the other users, then returns the latitude/longitude coordinates of where the most central location would be. Kinda like everyone gets 1 vote in determining where the convention would be.

I've taken the liberty of compiling data from some of the users on this site by scouring the member directory and looking for location information on the biggest posters. Here's who/what I have so far...

[FONT=Courier New]
Leedogg
Salem
Ohio
USA

Pantallica
Edwardsville
Illinois
USA

Jolly McJollyson
Waterville
Maine
USA

Lordathestrings
Calgary
N/A
Canada

Raskolnikov
Lafayette
Louisiana
USA

PonyOne
Los Angeles
California
USA

TheDirt
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

PRSplaya
Grenada
Mississippi
USA

Polera
Toronto
N/A
Canada

sambob
Springfield
Ohio
USA

jake sommers
Chicago
Illinois
USA

finger_cruncher
Vancouver
N/A
Canada[/FONT]

Assuming the above information is correct, the guitartricks convention location would be located at (N 41.088593 W 93.489112), which is a town called Norwood, Iowa. Yeehaw! We'd be partying in a cornfield. Here's an actual picture of the location:

This is only the North American list. My program will also work for people in the eastern hemisphere. However, when I tried to put all the users on a master list to run through my program, our meeting location is inevitably somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean! So I'll keep things simple and have two lists, one for western hemisphere folks, and one for eastern.

What you can do:
First off, you can check the official gtgtg webpage on my site here. You will find out all sorts of information about the program, as well as be able to download it and try it out for yourself. There's some neat features on there.

Second: I urge you guys to simply post your location on this thread. Just write your city, county(if applicable), state (if applicable), and country. I'll look up your latitude/longitude information on my database, and add ya to the list. Every response has the potential to move the location of the meeting site hundreds of miles in any given direction. Don't lose out!

Also, for the member's I have listed above, if there's been a mistake or a change in your location, just give an update on this thread. You can also confirm if you want that way I know I got it right.

I may be alone here, but obviously I think this is a cool idea if I put 20+ hours into making this program, please don't let my time be wasted in vain. You don't have to give up any information beside the city,state,country you live in. That's not so intrusive is it? No, I didn't think so! :D

Click here to visit the gtgtg site.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile