View post (Body mounted neck p/up on a tele)

View thread

RobSm
RobSm
10/13/2004 8:15 pm
....yeah...finally getting round to it...:o)

My plan was
1. buy a Saga kit and test to destruction if necessary else give to the kids to paint when finished...It got stolen in the mail & the USPS is taking forever to process the insurance claim...ie from August 2nd til.....????

2. buy 'good stuff' & do the lot using the experience from 1. above but the house renovation from hell has us still in temporay accommodation 5 weeks after due completion date. I won't go any further down that track. I will have a music room though I've had to agree to a sofa bed for extra guests that's thakin the space for my guitar stand!!

Anyway I've ordered all the stuff trying to minimise the number of different suppliers as you suggest. Tele hardware kit from Callaham. Shielding kits & a few other pieces from GuitarElectronics.Both arrived within days. Body & neck from Warmoth due in a couple of weeks.

Due to impatience & frustration because of 1. & 2. above I requested Warmoth to do the finishing. I will do more (complete) projects later I' sure when settled.

I was tinkering with the parts that I've received & trying to foresee the issues. I've got the bits to mount the pickup either way. I would have to tap the pickup holes & drill the pickguard but I'm thinking simplest is best & the wires on the pickup make setting it down on a flat surface a bit 'wobbly' & I thought..millions must've done this so at least someone has to have a hot tip :o)

I don't have the body yet as I've said. I'm just ...er ..thinking things through.

Also the Pickups & hardware kit had no info at all & the control assembly was prewired differently to all the schematics I could find on the web. Callaham said wire it per the 50 tele schematic (which of course is exactly what I want to do) but their switch set up is different so I've spent some intriguing time revising high school switching theory drawing my state diagrams etc in order to figure out where the pickup leads connect to which lug on the switch.

I want to avoid the repeat till it works loop. :o)

Thanks for your tip.

I don't know what I'll do with the Saga kit if it ever arrives...Customise it a bit. LOL

CYA
Robbo