View post (More Big Band problems.)

View thread

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2004 10:01 pm
Some of you might recall the thread I started in open discussion a few months ago with questions about my tone in a jazz big band at school. Well now that the school year has started, I'd like to bring up some other stuff.

I sold my LP, and now have a Washburn J6, I love the guitar and the tone (but you'll see my problem soon).

The school's amp is a fender ultra chorus, and it works awesome, and gives me the "fat" or "big" tone I need.

But the guitar fits in almost too well, if you ask me. The guitar blends in so well, I can't even hear myself playing anymore! I can pick out individually the saxes, trumpets, trombones, piano, drums and bass guitar but not myself! For example there's one song where I have the melody shared with a trumpet, tenor sax, and flute. I cannot hear one note that I play. I have so much bass involved that the tone is killer, like wicked mellow and jazzy, but how is the audience going to hear me if I can't even hear myself?

Now volume isn't really the issue. For the most part, I'm playing just as loud as anybody else, and when I do turn it up, the band director immediately says "less guitar." I don't even know what to do.

Well I started thinking: If not volume, then it's eq. So I add some treble to help me cut through some of the band. But now it just sounds like crap (my guitar, that is).

Any advice? The things I've got access to are my guitar (which has 2 pickups, each with seperate tone and volume controls, I've mainly been using the neck pickup), the amp (which has 3 band eq, and 2 channels - clean and distorted) and I could buy a pedal or something, I've got about a 100 dollars in stowaway.

Thanks a lot!

-The Ace
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks