View post (How do I boost the volume????)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2004 7:07 pm
yeah, it's called Mastering and to get a really good sound takes forever.
I've been at it for about a year and I'm still learning how the EQ, compressor and limiters react together.

I've been using T-Racks for awhile now. I like it mainly cause it emulates outboard gear (even the desktop pic looks like real equipment sitting on your console). Plus it comes with some decent presets ...everything from tube sound to 1/2" tape to brickwall to FM mixes.

As far as trying to get the levels you hear on major label CD's at home tho. Ferget it. You can come close but you'll never get the clarity. They've got millions$$ and $$ to spend on mastering facilities and the guys that work at the best of em have been at it for years.

Another thing I learned was that using seperate plug-ins within your audio software (ie, plugging something like a PSP Vintage Warmer in the effects out in Cubase) sounds like crap. I've tried some of the best plug-ins out there like sonic maximizer, prosoniq, TCNative and none of em came close to the clarity and quick results I get with T-Racks.
I haven't tried Waves yet but one of these days I'll give em a go. Can't get the software to work on my Mac tho dammit.