View post (Bad Habits)

View thread

John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
02/26/2001 2:35 pm
Hey Jake. Most players make the x57775 chord (a.k.a. the A chord form barre chord) with the index finger barring the fifth fret (and add the tip muting the 6th string when you're comfy) and the ring finger barring the DGB strings on the 7th fret. The trick is to learn to "curl" the bottom of your ring finger off the high E so that the 5th fret tone is sounded. Learn to use the ring finger barre first (don't worry about sounding the high E till you learn the curl), then add the curl and the mute. Or just continue doing it your way. We won't mind at all.

As for the G chord, the alternate fingering you mention will allow for smoother transition to and from a C chord. Your middle and ring fingers work the bass notes (maintain same position just move both up and down a string), the pinky does the G on the high E for a G chord, your index finger the C on the B string. Give it a try. When I first saw someone doing this I made light of it until I tried it. Now I use it when it makes changes easier.