Guitar Lessons:

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Guitar Basics
User Name

Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 AM
branchbrown has made some friends around here

Thanks Guys! I have been working on Playing for about a month now. I am 37 and have been finding some of the stuff pretty hard. I was getting a little discouraged. My 14 year old son just started playing the banjo and he is progressing rapidly. I taught him how to play the piano at 10 and I have been playing for 25 years and he is better than me. So I know he has a lot more talent than me but its hard to watch him progress so quickly. (even though it does make me proud.) Your stories in this thread are so uplifting! Thanks again! Time to practice.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Full Access
Saratoga Bill has made some friends around here
Interesting topic. I'll join in with this. I started a couple of months ago and I'm looking closely at 70. I have arthritis in my hands and wanted something to keep my fingers moving so they don't lock up. Found fingerstyle and while it's slow going it is fun. There are some chords right now that my fingers won't let me get to but I'll keep trying to get them stretched out.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM
unadulterated_devin has made some friends around here
I'm really glad that I found this thread! I bought my guitar three days ago and joined the site the same day. I told the salesman at the store that I thought I was much too old to learn. I'm thirty two and it seems now like I'm rather young around here. This is in conjunction with my recent decision to attend law school when I'm done with my bachelor degree from Liberty University (online). I've always thought I was "too old" for this that or the other thing, since I was about twenty-five. Now I'm learning that you're never too old. I'm picking things up very quickly now!

Oh, did I mention that I'm also learning Italian and hope to move on to Swahili soon? My joke is that I'm having an early midlife crisis!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
adir olf has made some friends around here

see this link...

There you will find 2 cool things about age and music, a link to a science friday NPR story on this (just from last friday) AND a link to another thread by John of MT who cites a book (which happens to be what the radio story was about)

Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
trickyvic3 has made some friends around here
Plenty of us old timers here

I'm turning 58 next month and started playing after a 30+yr lay off. I played in a few bands as a teenager and now regret not staying with it. Got married and raised a family, and now I have the time to devote to something I truly love.

Like a lot of kids, I thought I knew it all after learning enough basic chords to play a hand full of songs. Now that I'm older and wiser, I realize there's so much more to learn. I have a couple of friends who are pros and they both tell me they are still learning every day. btw- ones in his 40s and the other in his 50s.

Finding GT was the best thing I could have done! Beware of some of the online lessons, as I've found not all of them teach you the right ways.

Just another old fart member here.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 AM
patekd has made some friends around here
It's never too late...

I am 47 and I started about a year ago. I had to grind out the first song and the first song with bar chords rewired a good section of my brain (ouch).
I started on another site like this one but I ran across this Guitartricks and it seems to be more complete and have more structure.

I started because I wanted something that I could do and enjoy just for me. I also needed to take my mind off of work and sitting in front of the TV never did it. I found out that when I practice it requires complete focus and the minute my mind strays back to work or anything else the guitar makes a horrible sound! That's when I know I need to focus on what I am doing and not thinking about something else.

I am not sure where this will all lead but it adds something creative and different to my life.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM
jasonbench has made some friends around here
I am 42 and just getting serious again. I started playing when I was quite young but life seemed to get in the way. I am quite rusty but I seem to appreicate it more now than I did then. Cudos to all who are starting, or starting again later in life.