Greetings

tonypashigian
Full Access
tonypashigian
Full Access
10/13/2019 8:55 pm

Greetings, earthlings. I'm Tony.

I joined last year but didn't really start using GT until sometime this year. I'm hoping to find a way to stitch all this together to be able to sit at a camp fire or in front of an amp and sound interesting for 30 minutes or so.

I feel like I have a bunch of puzzle pieces but don't know how to put them together to just play music. Chords, GT lessons, scales, 12 bar, etc...I have GOT to figure out how to turn it into music.

Be well.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/13/2019 9:29 pm

Earthling to Tony. Hello. Welcome to [u]our[/u] forum.

As a mere earthling I wouldn't rely on 'hope'. I'd use this starting with pressing on the big yellow Start Here arrow.

That'll keep you occupied in front of your amp easily for an hour or have you playing a zillion campfire songs from memory using just a few progressions within six months or sooner, if you apply yourself to it.

Have fun with it!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/14/2019 11:34 am

Hey & welcome to GT, Tony!

Originally Posted by: tonypashigian

I joined last year but didn't really start using GT until sometime this year. I'm hoping to find a way to stitch all this together to be able to sit at a camp fire or in front of an amp and sound interesting for 30 minutes or so.[/quote][p]You need to acquire a vocabulary, a list of skills & ideas that you can count on. Things you've done so many times, through repetitious practice, that they are second nature.

Then you need to apply those skills & ideas to learning a repertoire of songs.

The good news is that you can do that at GT.

[br][quote=tonypashigian][p]I feel like I have a bunch of puzzle pieces but don't know how to put them together to just play music. Chords, GT lessons, scales, 12 bar, etc...I have GOT to figure out how to turn it into music.

You've got exactly the right idea! It sounds like you have some skills, but need to turn those skills into songs.

There are 3 primary categories of tutorials on GT.

1. Core Learning System. This is an integrated step by step curriculum of lessons that start at absolute beginner. If the Fundamentals are too simple & you already know all that, then dive into one of the style courses.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

2. Song Catalog. This is all the songs GT has the secured the rights to teach.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

3. Instructor Directories. These are more specialized topics, sometimes organized in sub-categories. You can view the instructors & their specialty here. This is where you dive deeper into the skills & ideas that taught in the courses.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php

For example, I have over a thousand lesson on various topics, organized by topic or focus.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

We encourage all beginners to work through the Fundamentals courses, then the style course of their choice. If your knowledge & skill level is beyond the Fundamentals material, then skip to the styles!

At any level you should look for songs you enjoy, want to play & are close to your skill level. Because that's what you do at a campfire, or in front of an amp for fun. That's why we practice all those chords, scales, progressions. Because those are the tools we will use when we play songs. But learning songs is a separate step. Making the time to learn the sections of a song, the chord progression, riffs, fills, etc. is a whole process in itself. And then learning a repertoire of songs takes time also!

You can build & expand you skill set in the process of learning songs, but without a solid foundation of skills, you can't even start to learn to learn some songs! So, it's important to be objective & honest with yourself about your current skill level. That's why working through a course is helpful. At some point you hit a wall & that's where you need to work on your skill set. So be prepared to be patient with yourself & practice a whole lot!

If you have a question about a certain topic, or how to do some skill, please ask! The GT database of lessons is enormous! That's one reason the forum is here, to help you find the resources you desire.

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary & have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
lissa78
lissa78
10/16/2019 4:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Hope you doing well,

My name is Lissa and I am newbie here.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/16/2019 9:28 am

Hi Lissa

Welcome

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/18/2019 1:34 pm

Hi Lissa!

welcome to GuitarTricks!

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
tonypashigian
Full Access
tonypashigian
Full Access
10/21/2019 8:32 pm

Thanks, Christopher. I've been slugging my way through Blues 1 and skipped to Blues 2 for a few lessons. When I find something that is beyond my ability to fly through, I spend time there until I figure it out. It's more building blocks.

I need to jump into a few songs on GT. I dipped my toe in the pond but didn't connect. I just need to jump in to try it.

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/21/2019 10:01 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: tonypashigianI've been slugging my way through Blues 1 and skipped to Blues 2 for a few lessons. When I find something that is beyond my ability to fly through, I spend time there until I figure it out. It's more building blocks.
[br][br]Sounds good. Please do find some songs you enjoy & have fun learning them!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 8
tonypashigian
Full Access
tonypashigian
Full Access
10/30/2019 1:41 am

Chris, in one of the lessons that someone suggested I review by you, you refer to "the 5 of 2" when putting together some chords. What is that?

The lesson has been fun. I have a way to go, but it's doable.

Thanks,

Tony

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.