Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Technique and Style
User Name
Password

Old 04-20-2004, 08:04 PM

learninfast has made some friends around here
telecaster vs stratocaster

first off this is not a comparison because they are two different les of the instrument. what i would like to know if anyone could please tell me is what the difference is. i can purchase a telecaster from squire for 300$ and maybe less at an upcomming sale at long and mcquade this weekend. i hear telecasters are better designed for blues and rock as well as fast action on the neck. but i dont know **** from what ive heard .
someone please tell me the basic differences between telecaster stratocaster if you can.
thank you.
wes
[email protected]
Old 04-20-2004, 08:30 PM

agtierney has made some friends around here
from what i know about em (being lefthanded ive only had a couple of run ins with a telecaster) that teles are more designed for the twangy country sound, but thats not all they do.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Gear Guru

Lordathestrings is a Guitar Tricks guruLordathestrings is a Guitar Tricks guruLordathestrings is a Guitar Tricks guruLordathestrings is a Guitar Tricks guru
Most guitars can be used to play most styles of music. It's much more important to get an instrument that feels good in your hands, and sounds good to your ears.

L&M has been in business for a long time, and they've built a well-deserved reputation for backing up their sales. Go with the most "right-feeling" axe you can afford, whatever that turns out to be. Take very good care of it, and if you decide you want something else, I'm sure L&M will let you trade it in.

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
Old 04-23-2004, 12:48 AM

Gawen has made some friends around here
Send a message via ICQ to Gawen Send a message via MSN to Gawen Send a message via Yahoo to Gawen
Tele Vs Strat! :-)

Hiya!

It wouldn't be fair to compare the two, but the Tele (I own one) has it's uses as does the Strat (I own one too!)

I find staright up rock the Start fits the bill and for more toneful applications the Tele works well!

BUT then I swap 'em around to so hey???

Don't let rpice be too much of a guide, let your ears and your hands do the decision making (not to say ignore your pocket tho! :-) )

Hope this helps!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:27 AM

u10ajf has made some friends around here
I don't know of telecasters being better designed for blues and rock than strats. Actually (although I confess I've never played a tele, only a copy) the lowest action, thinnest fretted easiest guitars I've ever played have been Strats or squires (the cheap Strat-mimic that Fender make). It has other advantages over strats but I wish my Ibanez was that easy to play. Strats rock whatsmore you can get them with humbuckers and floating floydd roses these days...
Old 04-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Chick Magnet

Jolly McJollyson calls Guitar Tricks homeJolly McJollyson calls Guitar Tricks homeJolly McJollyson calls Guitar Tricks home
Send a message via AIM to Jolly McJollyson
Strats have the faster neck of the two guitars. However, tele's have an amazing blues tone. If I were you, heh, I'd buy an Ibanez. They exploit foreign work more than anyone else, so their guitars are relatively cheap in comparison with others. Actually, here's what I suggest. www.carvin.com Go to that site and buy a guitar. they ship directly from their factory so there's no store markup and they make AWESOME guitars and AMAZING electronics. (go for the seven strings, they kick ass)

My band is better than yours...
Old 04-23-2004, 03:18 PM

dinell2 has made some friends around here
Strat vs. Tele

Fender Strat has the single coil sound used by the legends- Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn,...

Fender Telecaster or Tele has the de facto country guitar sound

Tele has more tone and nice cleans compared to a Strat. But for distortion, I I personally think the Strat makes for a better Rock guitar where-as the Tele is nice for blues, funk, country, ect.

I like both Teles and Strats, but only when they have hotter bridge pickups. I love single coils, but I need something with more mid-range and output in the bridge. I'd probably end up going with a Strat and installing a humbucker or a hotter single coil, but I could live with a Tele as well. A custom guitar I have in mind is similar to a Telecaster Plus, which consists of a hard-tail bridge, bridge humbucker with mounting ring, and a Strat-style headstock.

www.guitarz-for-ever.com