Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Music Theory
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 AM

BammBamm22 has made some friends around here
Help V7th chords are killing me

Hello i am working on some of the lessons that involve adding Major 3rds and minor 3rds to perfect 5ths to get different chord scales with all the differerent keys. the C major scale is very simle becuse there is no flats or sharps, but when i try to go to a differerent scale/key i get confused when it comes to adding the dominant 7. i have watched all the videos on scales and triads and adding 3rds but im still lost. the question i have for you is i heard they call this 7 note a flat 7th. So if i take the scale chords in the key of D, the primary chords I IV V would be D-F#-A. i then take the V chord which is the A. The part that i get lost in is... do i continue to use the notes in the key of D to get my V7th, or since the V chord is an A, do i now use the the key of A (A major scale) to get my flat 7th. in the key of A the 7th is a G# and when i flaten it it now becomes a G. is that correct or is there a simpler way. thanks BBg
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM

hunter1801 has gotten by on pure wit
Did you really need to post the same thread in 2 different places.....
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 PM

Yes Hunter1801, I did feel the need to post this in the spots i did ...., That's how dedicated i am about learning music. After 48 years of doing what I do for a living, I learned one thing, go big or go home. Sorry you still think inside the box.

I figured this is a forum, so I left a question in the most common spots people would look. I left one for the general viewer and one for the specific instructor that I have been following, and one here for true music theory experts.

By Chance do you have the correct formula I need for my dilemma?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Guitar Tricks Instructor

CSchlegel knows a thing or two about guitar playing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BammBamm22
but when i try to go to a differerent scale/key i get confused when it comes to adding the dominant 7 ...

I covered Triadic Harmony (building chords from the notes of a scale) in depth in this music theory tutorial:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=495

I covered major 7th, minor 7th & dominant 7th chords in these tutorials:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=501
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=479
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=499

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=513
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=961

I cover all this in depth in my instructor forum also!

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

Last edited by CSchlegel : 08-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

CS, Thank you very much! This is what i was looking for.

Last edited by BammBamm22 : 08-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:31 PM

gdengelbrecht has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BammBamm22
Hello i am working on some of the lessons that involve adding Major 3rds and minor 3rds to perfect 5ths to get different chord scales with all the differerent keys. the C major scale is very simle becuse there is no flats or sharps, but when i try to go to a differerent scale/key i get confused when it comes to adding the dominant 7. i have watched all the videos on scales and triads and adding 3rds but im still lost. the question i have for you is i heard they call this 7 note a flat 7th. So if i take the scale chords in the key of D, the primary chords I IV V would be D-F#-A. i then take the V chord which is the A. The part that i get lost in is... do i continue to use the notes in the key of D to get my V7th, or since the V chord is an A, do i now use the the key of A (A major scale) to get my flat 7th. in the key of A the 7th is a G# and when i flaten it it now becomes a G. is that correct or is there a simpler way. thanks BBg

The I, IV and V(7) chords are D, G and A(7). You may use A or A7 because both are considered to be "dominant" chords.

The "7th" note added to the A Major is the note "G". This means you stay in the key of D while the V(7) chord is being played.

The way you arrive at the "7th" note that is added to the V chord is by going up in the A Major scale to the 7th step and flattening it from G# to G like you said. This gives the chord (V7) the "dominant" function...the flat 7th.

Hope this helps