Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Tech Talk
User Name
Password

Old 03-13-2011, 02:03 PM

nbarclay  has made some friends around here
Play Guitar through my PC - Does anyone know any decent software ? ? ?

I would like to play my guitar through my computer and would like to find out if there is any decent software that is available online that can enable me to do this?.

Any help would be warmly welcomed - thx
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Guitar Tricks Admin has made some friends around here
Hey Barclay,

A computer can be a very powerful tool for musicians.
Being able to plug a guitar into your computer depends mostly on your hardware, or the parts that are used to build your computer. Software is a program that will usually allow you to manipulate the sound of your guitar, or record it.

Have you already gotten your guitar to play through your computer's hardware? What kinds of things would you like the software to be able to do?

GT Admin
Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Full Access

JeffS65 has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarclay
I would like to play my guitar through my computer and would like to find out if there is any decent software that is available online that can enable me to do this?.

If this will help, I wrote this review of the IK/Stealth stuff a while back:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=31112
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Ben Lindholm eventually gets it mostly right
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarclay

I have worked with both Amplitube (IK) and GuitarRig (Native Instruments) and I like them both - you can get VERY good sounds from those programs if you spend some time with the settings. They each have their pros and cons, but both programs are good.

In fact, I don't bother recording with a mic on a real amp anymore, because I can get the same (and better) sounds with software - and it is much easier to change and work with the sound after I record.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Full Access

jhferguson has made some friends around here
I tried it with my Boss ME-25 and I had timing issues. What I played was delayed by the time it played back on my computer, even with the sampling rate as low as it could possibly go on my sound card and within the software of the foot pedal.

To fix this I bought an amp with a headphone input and I just plug my computer speakers into that port. You may not have the same issue, but if you are looking for software you may run into sampling issues like I did and from what I understand you would have to shell out big bucks to get a sound card good enough to pull this off correctly.

On a side note, I work professionally in the IT field so I know what I am doing when it comes to my PC.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Ben Lindholm eventually gets it mostly right
Well, while a good soundcard will have lower latency, just getting different drivers for your existing soundcard can help a lot. There are many 3rd party drivers that work much better than the original drivers when it comes to latency.

I tried this a while back when I was using Windows and it helped a lot. But of course it's easy to mess things up too

On Mac, the standard Core Audio drivers have basically no latency at all with the built-in soundcards. Depending of course also on how many tracks you're playing simultaneously in your sequencer.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM

hunter1801 has gotten by on pure wit
What about a POD (line 6)? Heard those were pretty good. Anyone have one or can comment on it?