Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Guitar Basics
User Name
Password

Old 12-31-2001, 03:42 PM

canuck01 has made some friends around here
What would be some of the essentials for taking care of my guitar. I have an electric guitar. I suppose moving it away from the heat register would be a good start, eh?
Old 12-31-2001, 06:14 PM

Gulder has made some friends around here
- By regulary cleaning your snares. You should take a look underneath the snares (look between the fretboard and the snares) when you've played a pretty long session... there is this freaky 'fungus'like stuff hanging down from them. So I'd suggest you'd clean them like, after every long session. I use a little piece of rag, thin enough to fit between the snares and the fretboard and I go up and down (nut to bridge wise) I also gently clean the top of the snares.
-By not smashing your guitar on anything. When our practising at home and you came to the luminous idea to wear the strap in stead of sitting down, watch our where you are going I have a small room and I must have banged in to everything that stands there.
-Don't freak out on it. A guitar is still a delicate instrument which should be handled with care imho.
-Don't keep in in too cold/moist places either.
When you want to clean the body: DONT USE A HANKY ! I did and now it's full of light scratches Use a little piece of clean rag (like the things to clean your cd's with) and don't press it too hard !
-Make sure you have clean hands (don't rush off the diner table to play you're beauty, wash you're hands first ! filthy pig , or when you've played for a long time and you've swet like a pig make sure your dry your fingers when you can before you play again. I personnaly don't like to play with sticky fingers and it makes your snares rust much quicker and it gets these filthy stains on your body when you grab your guitar...

Well it's all I can think of for the moment. I'm sure there's plenty more that I forgot.

P.S. I even talk to my guitar to make her play better and smoother
Old 12-31-2001, 07:56 PM

lalimacefolle has made some friends around here
When you have to leave it for a long time in its case, take the pressure off the neck by unwinding the strings.
Put it in its case when you know you won't play it for more than a day.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:24 PM

canuck01 has made some friends around here
Thanks guys, thus far, I have been washing my hands before I play, and the guitar rests upright on a stand in the corner, that way it is in sight and I will remember to play as often as I can. As for the hanky panky thing, I'll keep it in mind and pick up some soft rags somewhere...oh somewhere...there is that pair of silk....ah nevermind, I'm sure that I'll find something.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:23 AM

trebledamage has made some friends around here
Clean your strings after every use. I tend to use a generic, non abrasive guitar polish, but they do actually make a product called "fast fret" which does the same job. I managed to play on the same strings for over a year thanks to this tecnique.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:57 AM

lalimacefolle has made some friends around here
A yeaaaaaaaaaaar? Man, I have to change them every two weeks...
Old 01-02-2002, 05:19 AM

Psycho Amram has made some friends around here
Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Amram
yep it lasts this long for me too
clean the pickups or they'll rust
i clean mine after every time i play, that is every day, but befure that i didn't clean it and after two weeks it looked like hell so what i say comes from my bitter experience. clean everything you can think of ater every time you play with soft cloth and alcohol or some guitar cleaner.
ya and dont bang it around your room mine has nasty f*** in the bridge 'cause of that.

by the way i kiis her when she goes to sleep so she'll have nice dreams and she's always happy to my touch

Excuse me while i keep this eye