Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Tone and Effects
User Name
Password

Old 10-25-2001, 08:04 PM

JJams has made some friends around here
I have just started reaching the tone that I would like to have. I play through a Fender 2x12 Hot Rod DeVille. The problem is that when I click on the dirty channel on my amp it basically sounds like crap. I like to build up the intensity in my music and when I hit that channel it throws me off. Is there a way to have a rack E.Q. just for my dirty channel? Maybe with a foot switch to turn the E.Q. on and off? Anyone HELP. Thanks
Old 10-26-2001, 02:25 AM

Bardsley has made some friends around here
I think you'd be better off getting some sort of distortion unit, either rack mounted big amazing tube thingy, or a stomp box. The thing is that a lot of amps just don't have great distortion unless you get distorion by cranking the amp. I have a Boss OD-3 Overdrive pedal, which is great for a rich and full tone, which I often play with the drive very low, just to get a nice full sound with some crunch. Whether you go for something like that, or something more sophisticated, I think you will get better results than adding more eq to a dirty distortion channel. I would imagine that no matter how much you eq a muddy channel, you're not going to get a very nice sound. Just my thoughts, if anyone cares to disagree, feel free.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:20 AM

JJams has made some friends around here
See I already have a tube screamer and some distortion on a digitech processor but they don't really have that intense distortion. But the thing with intense distortion is that it might end up sounding like metal or a grunge sound. I'm not really into that. I'm not really trying to get any more stomp boxes because I got so many already. Do you know of any rack distortions?
Old 10-26-2001, 03:07 PM

phymozzy has made some friends around here
Send a message via ICQ to phymozzy
Crappy sounding

What you have to do is to put a 60Hz filter in the output of the channel, so the noise doesnt pass to the speakers. ask some electronic geek on how to do that, cause i dont know how to install it exactly