Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 PM

pure knows a thing or two about guitar playing
Send a message via AIM to pure
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo
As pure said believe it or not it is a type of cultural thing not crouch grabbin persay but it all comes with the territory like saggin pants baggy clothes expensive jewelry, fancy cars, jus parts of the lifestyle. Old sayin goes if u wanna get in u have to fit in. It's no different IMO than the psychedelic movement of the sixtees, disco of the seventees, ect. There's things that people apart of that seen did then that still baffle me now. I for one sag my pants and wear baggy clothing but it doesn't mean that I can't hold an intelligent conversation with someone or what not its just a choice I make to wear clothing I want and do things other people may not understand. I just think the Rap industry gets a bad reputation based soley on what comes across in videos and/or whats broadcast on television and mainstream media. Just my honest opinion take it or leave it lol

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gogogo again.

PRS i didn't mean culture like that, i meant it's rap culture. its just what they do. like rockers bang their heads. and i have seen rockers grab their crotch so i don't know whats all this against rap. crotch grabbing didn't even come from rap it came from pop.

and btw, some do it just to hold their pants up cause in jail they're not allowed to have belts and they don't like wearing tight pants. and as somebody once said, they try to have a gangster criminal image.

and rap is poetry. MODERN rappers just screwed it up. listen to the older rap you'll find some good poetry. and it wasn't all about cars cash and girls either. it just got screwed up. i myself don't like modern rap as it is, but the older ones are really good. 90's rap. also try reggae. not reggaeton, reggae. you know like matisyahu and them. thats some nice music. just give it a chance. i think the worst kind of musicians are the ones that aren't open to other styles. i'm staying away from this thread.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 AM
Proud Celica Enthusiast

6strngs_2hmbkrs knows a thing or two about guitar playing
doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK! doo do-do doo doo-oo-oo-oo OK!

Oh yeah, real poetry in motion right there... modern rap is about girls (but not refered to as girls, but as b*tches), money, flaunting of that money in some of the most retarded ways I have ever seen (such as grills, 24" spinner rims, and LCD tv's in places of the car that nobody can even see), it's also about growing up "in da hood" which, most rappers never lived "in da hood" so stop pretending! that's modern rap for you. now, you can't say that older rap was poetry though either, I mean, back in the 80's they were singing (or rather, rapping, since rapping is not singing because it doesn't require any vocal abilities) "I like big butts and I cannot lie!"

now that I'm done bashing on rap, I will say that yes I have heard some rap that WAS poetic, and was actually about something other than money. so I will not say I hate all rap. now, all that being said, I will admit that I actually do listen to rap. for the most part, I just hate rappers, not rap. and frankly, it's really the only kind of music you can actually dance to (other than techno, but that sets a different mood)

EDIT: oh yeah, and I don't believe that alot of credit should be given to rappers for their "talents" since the DJ is the one doing all the work. once you have a nice beat going it's really easy to lay some words over top of it that rhyme, and usually those words are the first things that come to mind, and for rappers, the first thing that comes to mind is always money or women. Don't believe me? you can find some free rap backings on the soundclick.com listings, just play them and start trying to rap over them with the first words that come to mind, you'll see it's way too incredibly easy.

/rant

Last edited by 6strngs_2hmbkrs : 06-23-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Guitar Tricks Moderator

magicninja tested for performance enhancing drugsmagicninja tested for performance enhancing drugsmagicninja tested for performance enhancing drugsmagicninja tested for performance enhancing drugsmagicninja tested for performance enhancing drugs
Send a message via AIM to magicninja Send a message via MSN to magicninja Send a message via Yahoo to magicninja
"We're not against Rap, We're not against Rappers, but we are against those thugs"-Some Rap song.

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
Old 06-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Full Access

suicidalmoose has gained some favorable attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strngs_2hmbkrs
... and usually those words are the first things that come to mind, and for rappers, the first thing that comes to mind is always money or women. Don't believe me? you can find some free rap backings on the soundclick.com listings, just play them and start trying to rap over them with the first words that come to mind, you'll see it's way too incredibly easy.

lol so true, never looked at it that way.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 AM
Guitar Tricks Moderator

ren is a Guitar Tricks gururen is a Guitar Tricks gururen is a Guitar Tricks gururen is a Guitar Tricks guru
Rappers grab their crotches for the same reason dogs lick their nuts... because they can... It has been legitimised by their genre of 'music'.

Playing with the good stuff in public is not socailly acceptible, so they're just having as much fun as they can in their pants without getting arrested...
Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Disco Bandit

jeffhx is a Guitar Tricks gurujeffhx is a Guitar Tricks gurujeffhx is a Guitar Tricks gurujeffhx is a Guitar Tricks guru
Send a message via MSN to jeffhx
i have nth against rap...tho i still dont get the crotch grabbing thing...

just my 2 cents...
Old 06-23-2006, 07:28 AM

DAMAGED ONE is a splendid one to beholdDAMAGED ONE is a splendid one to behold
Sorry Pure, Im not trying to single out RAP so dont take it that way. It's just they Rappers do it more often. Im starting to think its some form of a Shock value and that is the reason. I mean they all rap about SEX.