Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Music Theory
User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2005, 03:07 AM

ninjandrew has made some friends around here
Speaking of scales...

...can anybody tell me how the screw Im supposed to learn them? Ive been playing for about seven months now. Mainly off tabs, fav. solos, riffs, and licks. But I want to be able to improvise.

My friend who has been playing for about 6 years now says that for improvisation, scales are really important. So I thought, `OK, enough solos and stuff, Ill find some scale tabs.` Accept there arbt any on the internet... This website does have some, but many of them seem strange and are made up by someone. Can anyone tell me a book or a website or something that will teach me more common scales?

My friends say Im pretty quick to learn guitar, but I need these invaluable scales. Can somone give me some advice??
Old 05-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Attorney at Law

Cryptic Excretions knows a thing or two about guitar playing
Send a message via AIM to Cryptic Excretions
A few things come to mind when reading this thread.

Scales and Improvising (and you)
1) I can see how scales come in handy with improvising, but in actuality they're only as important as you allow them to be. All scales are is a selection of notes in an octave. Thus it gives you a certain direction with each scale.

2) This site does have scales and they do seem to be made up by someone. But so does every scale that you're going to find outside of this website. All scales were conceived by someone at some point in time. If you really want a book or something then I'd say check out the guitar grimiore for scales but as far as websites go check this one www.guitartricks.com and click the link at the top that says scales.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:40 AM

ninjandrew has made some friends around here
Than can I ask which of this sites scales tabs are more... traditional? Tried and true?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Attorney at Law

Cryptic Excretions knows a thing or two about guitar playing
Send a message via AIM to Cryptic Excretions
Hmm, well, if I was to recommend a starting point I'd probably take the old fashioned route and suggest the major scale and/or any of the minor scales, or pentatonic scales. Only thing I can really recommend with practicing scales is focus on one at a time and learn that scale everywhere on the neck. Find all the notes in that scale on the neck and practice them profusely. That being said, good luck to you and if I didn't spell something out well enough, speak up.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 AM

aschleman gives straight goods, first time, every timeaschleman gives straight goods, first time, every timeaschleman gives straight goods, first time, every time
Send a message via AIM to aschleman Send a message via MSN to aschleman
If you're looking for an all out scale book that has pretty much every scale imaginable in it... with all the notes a lon the fingerboard.... check the Guitar Grimoire scale books. They're awesome... they also come with dvd's. I would check them out if I were you
Old 05-13-2005, 03:42 PM

jmartens1968 has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschleman
If you're looking for an all out scale book that has pretty much every scale imaginable in it... with all the notes a lon the fingerboard.... check the Guitar Grimoire scale books. They're awesome... they also come with dvd's. I would check them out if I were you

The DVD for the scales and modes is pretty weak in my opinion. I would opt for the books. I too am still trying to figure out all of this mode stuff. I ordered "Fretboard Logic I & II", I have read a lot of pretty good reviews of the books and the DVD's.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:59 AM

Lazerjeebs has made some friends around here
Send a message via AIM to Lazerjeebs Send a message via Yahoo to Lazerjeebs
You might want to give this program a shot. http://www.guitarscalesmethod.com/

I bought it last month. It's a very fresh and different approach to learning scales. I've tried learning 'em before and just got too bored with it all. This program at least makes it interesting and 'do-able' (IMHO anyways).

That's my recommendation. Hope it helps.

Everything is OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end.