Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Songwriting
User Name
Password

Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM

MarcusWiesner has made some friends around here
I used to start with the lyrics first, but I found that the music comes a lot easier and steadily to me than the lyrics, so I have a dearth of music with no lyrics. Usually I'd say that I write music then lyrics, but frequently nowadays I write both at the same time.

Basically my method nowadays is I have a few lyrical ideas, and a few musical ideas floating around in my head, and then I just randomly become inspired and bang it all out in about 15 minutes. It happens a lot now.

I'd just say keep at both sides of equation separately until they start to work together, and practice writing songs. I have lots of songs I've written that I don't think I'll ever play for anyone just because they are more like practice and I don't think I could memorize that many songs. Then you just take your favorite ones and roll out with those ones.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 AM

Jahan Honma has made some friends around here
So there ARE people who can do both at the same time. Hahaha. I've done them both simultaneously a few times myself, actually. However that usually requires that I have already decided what exactly I want the song to be about before I even start writing it and my lyrics usually have a lot of details. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM

AxetheAce has made some friends around here
What I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahan Honma
When you write a song, do you write lyrics or music first or both at the same time?

In general I tend to go music first which I think is the more popular method.

I enjoy writing lryics first. Sometimes I just write with no intation to make a song because its pratice and its also good for the mind if you use proper grammar technics or poetry technics.

Sometimes I find something cool on the guitar though and then I write lryics for it but I find it sounds better when I make the music for the lryics instead of lyrics for the music. Music is meant to set the mood for the lryics or so what I've noticed and been told.

PUNK ROCK

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Axe-t...199115290108685
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Full Access

haghj500 has made some friends around here
I have always created the music first, then picked words to fit it.