Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Technique and Style
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 AM

gdengelbrecht has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pinnavaia
I have taught some of my students the hammer technique and it depends on the student and their experience as to how fast they latch on to the technique. For a beginner they lack the hand strength and finger independence required so building the pull offs is where I usually start and refine that.
I that case trill exercises usually work best for building hand strength and synchronicity. The real trick is keeping everything in time with an even tone. I find that some players pull off to hard causing the intonation to go out.

Peace,
Joe

http://www.joepinnavaia.com

Cool advice Joe, making sure to have even tone sounds like a great way to improve legato in general!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM

James.Erickson has made some friends around here
Agreed. Trills are key to developing good legato, but as you mentioned Joe, they must be performed correctly-with proper evenness and tone, or you are ingraining further bad habits. That is something a lot of students do not realize is that either you are ingraining good habits or bad, there is rarely a middle ground. So they slop through exercises and wonder why everything sounds messy. Everyone was there at one point or another in their playing, but thankfully your students have a good teacher.