Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR




Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Open Discussion
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #29  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM
nigelcoughlin nigelcoughlin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
nigelcoughlin has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
You've got to be kidding... you're actually suggesting that you'd have to go live in the "slums" so you could afford a GT membership?


No, What I said was. " I could not live in a nice a neighborhood and go live in the slums and live from cheque too cheque so i don't have too live in the gutter."
This had nothing too do with GT member ship. This had too do with myself living from cheque too cheque. Not Joining GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
I've lived below the poverty line too fella... and John hit it right on the head. That's not the time to be worried about getting guitar lessons on-line.


I'm not worried about getting guitar lessons online.
LoL. I think i made that clear in the last post and I highly doubt u have lived anywhere below the poverty line or near it or u would defiantly have some understanding of my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
and look at your verbiage..


and now it is my english which comes under fire.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
You did disrespect the hard work the people had put into this site.


If what I said in my original post was taking as an insult, Im willing too apologize for that. After what has been said too me in response. I don't apologize for. Harsh words only get met with in kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
You said that what they had done was "a shame"...


no, what i said was " I remember when this site was free and all of its access was free : ( such a shame. "

there is a big difference in saying " what they had done was "a shame"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
You then went on to insinuate that there was some sort of scam going on by saying the content that is here was provided for free by people like you (which I highly doubt is true).


I never said there was a scam going on.. LoL.. The Original Content too the guitar tricks site was all provided by people who donated too the site. How much has changed, I do not know. Is some of the content present? I can't say and quite frankly, Unless you are a moderator of this site, Neither can you. There very well could be parts of this site that are from the original Site. I DO NOT KNOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
Then you stooped to swearing & name calling...


yup, sometimes assholes need too be told there assholes, and often times, assholes stand up for assholes. case n point. you stood right up for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
If you had just come in here with some respect, and asked some questions in a respectful way, then you would not have received the responses you did.


My original post was not meant too be disrespectful. It was just a statement that was taking the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
I still don't believe that you can't find $15 dollars in your budget some where... but if you can't, you can't... so move on.

It doesn't really matter if you believe me or not and in all honestly i dont know i waste my time. You are obviously a completely closed minded individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipin Lizard
Would you tell me from your posts here one *positive* thing you have to offer? Nothing? Didn't think so...


Your right but at least I have the decency too admit it.
Have a nice day. : )

And tell me, One positive thing you had too say in your post? You have defiantly giving me no reason too want too sign up too GT. I will defiantly not be changing my budget too sign up too guitar tricks. The only person who had anything decent too say, Got shot down for being remotely kind at all. A poor spokes person you are.
don't worry you don't have too respond.
I know, you didn't have a reason too be kind, I didn't deserve a kind response. I deserved too be talked down too. I needed it. You showed me.
: )
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
hunter1801 hunter1801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,313
hunter1801 has gotten by on pure wit
Well this thread sure took off quick. Couple things to say (I use the term "vs" very loosely. Not necessarily a fight between both sides):

1) Slipin vs Rick: It just comes down to the whole "customer service" side of things. If someone comes to the forums, even with a clearly negative outlook on things, you still go into customer service mode and treat them with respect. Even if someone were to personally attack me on the forums, I would reply back with a polite response or not reply back at all. Not worth it to go down to their level and continue the unnecessary negativity.

2) nigelcoughlin vs the current website: Not really sure what the point of your argument is anymore. Seems like you made the thread just to complain. It's fine to express your opinions. I for one completely understand that not everyone can afford to spend even $5 extra a month. If you are tight on money, that's just life and I can understand that. Wouldn't even question you on it. I do NOT however, understand your attitude of expecting it to be free. Do you go and complain to every other business when they have something you can't afford? Go write a letter to every movie theater for their ticket/food prices. Call up your internet provider and tell them that you can't afford internet, so you demand it to be free for you since you are on disability and can't afford it. Look around you right now and look at all the things that are by you. For everything that isn't a necessity to live, write that company a letter and complain that you can't afford it.

You can't even begin to mentally grasp the amount of free knowledge there is on the internet related to guitar. It's not like this site has brand new secret information that doesn't exist on the internet anywhere else. Google is your friend. Enjoy the millions of free online guitar lessons/tips out there. This site has a lot of great features, real instructors and lessons. They price their services at a relatively affordable rate for the amount of stuff you get. If you can't afford it, don't pay it. Simple as that. I don't see the need for arguing whatever it is that you are arguing about.

3) nigelcoughlin on the "original site"
Quote:
The original site, Guitartricks.com was by people wanting too share free lessons on different guitar tricks and guitar riffs. I know, I contributed. I posted Guitar riffs and licks.

Ok.......so? Is there a ban on this type of sharing of guitar tricks and riffs that I am not aware of? What's stopping you from sharing this still? What's stopping you from making a thread asking people for ideas? Instead of making THIS thread, you could have made a thread asking for help on something or sharing something. The forums are what you make of them. Nobody is stopping you from sharing or asking for information.

4) nigelcoughlin vs respect vs being polite:
Quote:
Respect is something that is earned through your peers and loved ones. I don't expect Respect on a Message board from someone who doesn't not even know the meaning of respect nor the concept.

Note that respecting someone and being polite to someone are completely different things. You don't have to respect someone to be polite. You chose to name-call and be generally impolite in some of your posts. That was YOUR choice and the decision is completely irrelevant to who started what, or what was said previously.

There isn't a single thing you can say to me that will make me start calling you names. That's MY choice. I show respect to everyone and choose to be polite even if I do not get it in return. Who I actually respect is a whole different thing. Don't blame others and start justifying your choice in attitude based on someone elses attitude. Like I said, it's all your choice.

5) nigelcoughlin vs grammar: Here is a 100% free lesson.

"To" and "Too"
-To is a versatile preposition. A few of its many definitions are (1) toward, (2) reaching as far as, and (3) until.
-Too is an adverb meaning (1) additionally, (2) excessively, (3) very, or (4) extremely.


6)
Like Rick mentioned, you aren't the only one that has brought this up. I think the thread he was talking about was this one:
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=35421
Give it a read
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM
nigelcoughlin nigelcoughlin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
nigelcoughlin has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
Seems like you made the thread just to complain.

I did not intended it that way. I was just surprised that it had become a pay site. I never expected the thread too take off either.

but I guess i can see how it can be see as a complaint. I wouldn't disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
I do NOT however, understand your attitude of expecting it to be free.


I don't really expect it too be free anymore, as it isn't a free site ANYMORE. The only real qualm I had or have is that the site Guitartricks.com WAS a free site. I came too it, expecting it too be free because it WAS free. I dont see what is so hard for people too grasp about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
so you demand it to be free for you since you are on disability and can't afford it.


The only reason I brought up the fact I was on disability Is because someone scoffed at me not being able too afford the 15 dollars. like everyone should be able too afford 15 dollars. That is not the case. Not everyone is so lucky.
And i never demanded anything. Everyone is just putting words in my mouth.




Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
You can't even begin to mentally grasp the amount of free knowledge there is on the internet related to guitar.


....really....What do you take me for? do you think i dont know how too use the search engine. Since I posted the first post I have found numerous sites that provide tones of information related to the learning guitar. Everything after the first post has nothing too do what that and everything to do with defending myself, more or less. I came too this site because I knew this site from the past.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
I don't see the need for arguing whatever it is that you are arguing about.


I have been defending myself for the majority of the time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
Nobody is stopping you from sharing or asking for
information.


There cost are Stopping me from sharing. Why do i want too post and share my knowledge and get nothing from there site in return? That is silly. In my opinion.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
That was YOUR choice and the decision is completely irrelevant to who started what, or what was said previously.


You are right. but I do not apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
There isn't a single thing you can say to me that will make me start calling you names.


You a good individual. I applaud you for it.

Have a nice day : )
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:32 PM
hunter1801 hunter1801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,313
hunter1801 has gotten by on pure wit
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcoughlin
There cost are Stopping me from sharing.


It doesn't cost you anything to post on the forums or share anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcoughlin
Why do i want too post and share my knowledge and get nothing from there site in return? That is silly. In my opinion.

That is selfish. In my opinion.

I'm not full access and I have never paid for anything from this site. That hasn't stopped me from coming to these forums and contributing/sharing for 7 years now. I have learned a TON from just these forums. If I have a question I ask. If I see a question I can answer, I answer. Your mentality of not wanting to share because you get "nothing in return" is just plain selfishness on your part. What do you expect to get in return? Money? I don't think so. You get knowledge in return. Isn't that what you want?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
nigelcoughlin nigelcoughlin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
nigelcoughlin has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
That is selfish. In my opinion.


Ya it is selfish. what did that guy say earlier, Their ain't no such thing as a free lunch. It works both ways? No?


but I do see your point, I guess the forums are full of people who don't have the money too pay and are all looking for help but I know no theory at all.
There is nothing i can share other then the way the old site worked, They had a way of posting tab. I could post some tab along with an audio clip of some licks and that is the only way i could benefit anyone. I was a rookie guitar player, then and really still am. I could not benefit anyone but the newest guitar player wanting too learn a few blues scales.
I can't answer any ones questions on anything because I understand nothing in the way of musical knowledge. I never took a lesson and i understand nothing but tab and that is a bare minimum. I never said I was some blazing guitar player who plays Stevie Ray or jimi hendrix.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801
If I have a question I ask. If I see a question I can answer, I answer. Your mentality of not wanting to share because you get "nothing in return" is just plain selfishness on your part.


You are a great person. The best kind. The kind that gives away his knowledge for free on a site that charges people too use the site. And doesn't expect or obviously want anything in return. you really do seem too be a nice person. But too me that is just ridiculous. If you feel you get enough from posting on the forums and are kind enough and knowledgeable enough too answer questions on the forums and feel this is retribution enough. I can understand that but I am not knowledgeable enough too post on the forums too either help anyone or too help myself learn about the guitar. I'm guitar illiterate. I do not know what any chord is called. I do not enough know what the notes on my guitar are. I don't know any scale names. I just play my guitar.

Thanks for taking the time too talk civil and i apologize if i have offended you in any manner. It was not intended.

have a nice day : )
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Jerry Dylan Jerry Dylan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 107
Jerry Dylan has made some friends around here
Since you are a user you can use most of the forum and if you have any questions we can all try to help you and you can try to help other people too. You can still get lots of good use out of this site. I sympathize with your situation but just because you can't afford the full membership doesn't mean you can't still get benefit from the site. Thanks for posting and I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
nigelcoughlin nigelcoughlin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
nigelcoughlin has made some friends around here
Thanks Jerry.

If I have any questions I know where too post

: )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin® Version 3.0.17
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Lessons Learn Guitar
© Copyright 1998-2014 GuitarTricks. All rights reserved.


Learn Guitar Online