Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR




Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Technique and Style
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Chayakorn Chayakorn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Chayakorn has made some friends around here
Find some exercises for practicing each left and right hand as well as 2 hand sync.

Rock On \m/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
gdengelbrecht gdengelbrecht is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
gdengelbrecht has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by amark16
Hey guys,
I've been working on my lead technique lately as i want to build up speed and precision in my playing. Im having great difficulty getting the hang of pull offs. the internet is full of trills and simple exercises but the actual technique is killing me. I know you have to "pluck" the string with the pulling-off finger, no problems with that. my problem is that in many licks, especially when descending (on a pentatonic scale for example), i have no time placing both my fingers in time to perform the pull off, if you know what i mean. How do u suggest i tackle that?

I suggest you try that exact same lick but use only hammer on's even while descending. I know the problem is with pull off's but when one focus on doing only hammer on's while descending one really trains finger independence and precision like never before.

There is a You Tube legato video by a guy named Marshall Harrison, that will be very beneficial because he explains this hammer on thing I described.

I took it further and used that to build my legato technique to get the pull off's down etc.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
James.Erickson James.Erickson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
James.Erickson has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdengelbrecht
I suggest you try that exact same lick but use only hammer on's even while descending. I know the problem is with pull off's but when one focus on doing only hammer on's while descending one really trains finger independence and precision like never before.

There is a You Tube legato video by a guy named Marshall Harrison, that will be very beneficial because he explains this hammer on thing I described.

I took it further and used that to build my legato technique to get the pull off's down etc.

Hope this helps


George,

I understand where you are going with that idea, and I was actually debating whether or not to recommend the all-hammer-on approach. It is the direction that legato is heading for the 21st century guitarist in large part due to Allan Holdsworth (and Marshall Harrison who helps explain it). What have you found with when to start students on this concept?

Personally, I feel that it depends on the student and if they show an interest in developing in that direction, but is that something you teach all your students?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
gdengelbrecht gdengelbrecht is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
gdengelbrecht has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.Erickson
George,

I understand where you are going with that idea, and I was actually debating whether or not to recommend the all-hammer-on approach. It is the direction that legato is heading for the 21st century guitarist in large part due to Allan Holdsworth (and Marshall Harrison who helps explain it). What have you found with when to start students on this concept?

Personally, I feel that it depends on the student and if they show an interest in developing in that direction, but is that something you teach all your students?

Definitely, I think the student must really be interested in that way of doing it

I myself isn't too worried about mastering that more difficult way but I find that at least it makes my fingers nice and independent, ready for the standard way.

I actually haven't shown this to any student, which might be a good idea to see how people respond to it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
James Sheasgreen James Sheasgreen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
James Sheasgreen has made some friends around here
Pull off Technique

I have found that using barring to do fast pull offs on multiple strings works well and that i get no noise from the strings underneath it. But this is because i use my fretting hand to mute the strings im not playing at all times when im playing lead. You can use the oalm of your thumb to do this. It makes for playing more accurately even with high speeds and gain.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
James.Erickson James.Erickson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
James.Erickson has made some friends around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Sheasgreen
I have found that using barring to do fast pull offs on multiple strings works well and that i get no noise from the strings underneath it. But this is because i use my fretting hand to mute the strings im not playing at all times when im playing lead. You can use the oalm of your thumb to do this. It makes for playing more accurately even with high speeds and gain.


Good job! That sounds like you know how to do the proper technique known as "thumb muting" which uses the thumb of the right hand, the little fingers of the right hand, and the index-finger-bar all to mute the appropriate strings. As you mentioned, this helps your playing be clean even with high gain at high speeds.

However, if you are having to mute the strings underneath the string that your are executing your pull-offs, then your pull-offs are being performed too drastically. It does not take a large down-sweep of the finger to execute pull-offs effectively. Just a quick snap of the finger will get the volume you need, and without activating the other strings. Hope that helps. I have been studying how to have monster legato for years, and so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Regards,
James
www.jamesericksonmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Joe Pinnavaia Joe Pinnavaia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 57
Joe Pinnavaia has made some friends around here
I have taught some of my students the hammer technique and it depends on the student and their experience as to how fast they latch on to the technique. For a beginner they lack the hand strength and finger independence required so building the pull offs is where I usually start and refine that.
I that case trill exercises usually work best for building hand strength and synchronicity. The real trick is keeping everything in time with an even tone. I find that some players pull off to hard causing the intonation to go out.

Peace,
Joe

http://www.joepinnavaia.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin® Version 3.0.17
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Lessons Learn Guitar
© Copyright 1998-2014 GuitarTricks. All rights reserved.


Learn Guitar Online