Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR

Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Guitar Basics
User Name
Password

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

flynhi66 has made some friends around here
Strumming Hand slipping to knob

While practicing, my right hand seems to keep falling down and resting hard on the tone knob (fender). I'm not sure of the correct form for the strumming-hand and what to do to prevent this (it keeps creeping down and out of the picture - I must say I'm left handed playing right handed so getting the right hand to do anything is a new trick for me!

Looking for advice on how to keep my right hand positioned correctly - thanks.
John
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM

aschleman gives straight goods, first time, every timeaschleman gives straight goods, first time, every timeaschleman gives straight goods, first time, every time
Send a message via AIM to aschleman Send a message via MSN to aschleman
start by trying to firmly rest your forearm on the contoured curve of the guitar. one thing about "technique" that i've always held in mind is: do what's comfortable. techniques are major guidelines that have been found through years and years of people playing but at the end of the day they're still guidelines... not the law of playing guitar. try resting your forearm on the guitar. this will give you a reference point for your wrist and arm to pivot off of while you're strumming. without this point of reference especially when playing off handed, you can get inconsistant movements... it's hard to make progress without conistency.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Thanks

I'll try that - I've changed positions so much that it's probably part of the problem. I also noticed my volume knob is maybe a quarter-inch from the bottom of the humbucker (Fender). I'll know what to look out for on my next guitar

I'll try as you suggested and see where that gets me. thanks.
John
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 PM

hunter1801 has gotten by on pure wit
What's the reason you decided to play a right handed guitar when you are a lefty?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Lefty

Probably because I've been beaten into submission to do other things right-handed. Now I'm equally confused with both !

If I could have do-overs, I'd probably switch.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Josh Brown 13 has made some friends around here
I agree with Aschleman. As well as my forearm resting on the top side corner of the guitar, I also have the pinky side of my hand rested right on the strings just before the bridge. It helps to mute unwanted noise and it's quicker to get into palm mutes. You may want to alter the angle depending on what strings you're playing.