Guitar Lessons:
Guitar Tricks
Username:     Password:
Guitar Lessons (855) EZ-GUITAR




Go Back   Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Community ( Visitors Welcome ) > Tone and Effects
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2008, 02:10 AM
Hjorvard Hjorvard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio,more specifically Fairborn
Posts: 102
Hjorvard has gained some favorable attention
Send a message via AIM to Hjorvard Send a message via Yahoo to Hjorvard
The METAL sound!

Okay so I've started a new project. The music isn't very technically engaging as the idea behind the sound lies within inspiration from metal bands such as anvil, jaguar, raven, venom, ect ect.. I want to get an old school sound for my music, but with massive crunch and distortion. Kind of like black sabbath with a death metal edge I guess. I was thinking for that I could used a ring modulator, a treble booster, and perhaps a metal master digitech distortion pedal? Problem is, I own none of these things, and I am also not made of money.

So...any suggestions on affordable versions of these things? I am definitely gonna go for the metal master pedal for this project as I can swing fifty or more bucks for it, but I am to understand that a ring mod and treble boost are in the hundreds.

Also if you have any suggestions on what gear to aqquire to get a mega heavy old school metal sound, that would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
elklandercc's Avatar
elklandercc elklandercc is offline
Full Access
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S. Jersey
Posts: 2,714
elklandercc is a Guitar Tricks guruelklandercc is a Guitar Tricks guruelklandercc is a Guitar Tricks guruelklandercc is a Guitar Tricks guru
The metal master will be your main purchase as that will give you the base of your sound (besides your guitar.) I'd get that first, then see what you want to boost or add from there.
__________________
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
ChipShank's Avatar
ChipShank ChipShank is offline
Instructor - Knucklehead
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 119
ChipShank is just really nice
Are you going to be mainly recording or playing live?
If you're main focus is on recording...Find a used J-Station and never let go of it....ever!!!! LOL
Layering stuff with the Rectifier & Brit Hi-Gain models is still one of my favorite "heavy" tones out there. For the price..it's very tough to beat.


Don
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Hjorvard Hjorvard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio,more specifically Fairborn
Posts: 102
Hjorvard has gained some favorable attention
Send a message via AIM to Hjorvard Send a message via Yahoo to Hjorvard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipShank
Are you going to be mainly recording or playing live?
If you're main focus is on recording...Find a used J-Station and never let go of it....ever!!!! LOL
Layering stuff with the Rectifier & Brit Hi-Gain models is still one of my favorite "heavy" tones out there. For the price..it's very tough to beat.


Don


Right now my main focus is recording definitely, so I will check out the j-station. How much would you say these cost, ballpark estimate?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:37 PM
ChipShank's Avatar
ChipShank ChipShank is offline
Instructor - Knucklehead
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 119
ChipShank is just really nice
You should be able to find one on Ebay for under $100 usually...or right around that price.
The problem is, that they're not being made anymore....So Ebay or local used equipment dealers are about the only places you'll find them. There is almost always at least a couple of them on Ebay at any given time though.
For live stuff, they don't work as well, since there is a noticable gap in the sound when changing patches...but for home/multi-track recording, for the price they are hard to beat. For straight up Metal tones, they still sound better to my ears, than almost anything out there for 4-5 times the price. They also work great for the bass, which is sweet, since you don't need a separate unit for recording your bass lines.

I've used it on my tunes, for about 50% of the rhythm tracks and pretty much every single bass line that I've done since I picked up mine.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Hjorvard Hjorvard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio,more specifically Fairborn
Posts: 102
Hjorvard has gained some favorable attention
Send a message via AIM to Hjorvard Send a message via Yahoo to Hjorvard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipShank
You should be able to find one on Ebay for under $100 usually...or right around that price.
The problem is, that they're not being made anymore....So Ebay or local used equipment dealers are about the only places you'll find them. There is almost always at least a couple of them on Ebay at any given time though.
For live stuff, they don't work as well, since there is a noticable gap in the sound when changing patches...but for home/multi-track recording, for the price they are hard to beat. For straight up Metal tones, they still sound better to my ears, than almost anything out there for 4-5 times the price. They also work great for the bass, which is sweet, since you don't need a separate unit for recording your bass lines.

I've used it on my tunes, for about 50% of the rhythm tracks and pretty much every single bass line that I've done since I picked up mine.

Don


Sweet! I'll have to check that out. Oh by the way I checked out some of your tunes and man you are damn good. You like Savatage at all?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Hjorvard Hjorvard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio,more specifically Fairborn
Posts: 102
Hjorvard has gained some favorable attention
Send a message via AIM to Hjorvard Send a message via Yahoo to Hjorvard
Quote:
Originally Posted by elklandercc
The metal master will be your main purchase as that will give you the base of your sound (besides your guitar.) I'd get that first, then see what you want to boost or add from there.


Yeah that's my initial plan of attack I think.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin® Version 3.0.17
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Lessons Learn Guitar
© Copyright 1998-2014 GuitarTricks. All rights reserved.


Learn Guitar Online