PDA

View Full Version : Humbucker angle???

Rainy River Madman
01-10-2004, 09:00 AM
What is the best angle to install Humbuckers at from neck to bridge??? I have dual Humbuckers, Should they each be level with the strings or should each have a slight angle to them? Look at your Hums and tell me what ya got? Straight or angled??

metal_carnage
01-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Depends on what kinda sound ya want.

I noticed that with distortion there is not much of a difference, but clean I do notice a difference. Tonation will be more sharp, or smooth.

I angeled all my pickups on every guitar, on my guitar with 2 humbuckers they are angeled more towards the lower strings. I lowered the humbucker on the higher strings just a bit.

Rainy River Madman
01-10-2004, 04:30 PM
I guess what I was more curious about was from the front of the pickup to the back...I guess I noticd it for the first time in the shop the other day diddling around I saw some Les Paul knock off's that had the humbuckers at a slight angle, as in they were lower in the back of the pickup than in the front... Not from E to e
but from Front to back..

Axl_Rose
01-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Ah well I think thats then just not sitting right in place lol! Surely they should be parrallel with the strings up and down the way, while most people angle them closer to the hi e.

metal_carnage
01-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Thought it was just me but I guess it wasn't

Hammurabi
01-10-2004, 07:00 PM
I think angling pickups is done more commonly on single coil pickups. If I remember right, which is like flipping a coin these days, strats are angled about 10 degrees up towards the treble side and teles are about 15 degrees.

Lordathestrings
01-10-2004, 11:04 PM
My Yamaha SBG1000s have three-screw pickup mounts, which allows me to angle them closer to the high E across the strings as well as keeping the face of the pickup parallel to the strings. I find that unless the pickups are further away from the low strings, my sound is too bassy, and it causes conflict with the bass player.