PDA

View Full Version : cobains guitar?

dinosaur_jr
09-14-2003, 08:55 PM
hey i was wondering what kind of guitar is kurt cobain playing on the back cover of the nirvana greatest hits cd ???

dinosaur_jr
09-14-2003, 09:21 PM
does any body know?
im not some kurt cobain wannabe or anything i just used that example because i thought that it was the most main stream dipiction of that guitar. i just think its a really kool
guitar.

metalisbest
09-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Its most likely a strat. Thats mostly what he used live.

dinosaur_jr
09-14-2003, 10:50 PM
http://www.livenirvana.com/images/09-22-90-07.jpg
theres a picture of it
and im pretty sure its not a strat

PonyOne
09-14-2003, 11:15 PM
The guitar in the pic is a Mosrite.

Live, Kurt used a fairly wide variety of guitars since he ended up smashing them frequently enough. He used Strats (the most famous of which was black with a white pickguard and a sticker that said "VANDILISM: AS BEAUTIFUL AS A ROCK IN A COP'S FACE", which is on the cover of some magazine featuring Kurt this month), but used Mustangs and Jaguars more often, and occasionally an Epiphone Les Paul (he used it in the vid for come as you are if memory calls correct; that guitar was messed up when he used it underwater, and the innards were later replaced.) He also codesigned the Fender Jagstang.

If you look online there's a site i saw a year or two back that listed every guitar he ever used.

Incidents Happen
09-14-2003, 11:31 PM
pony's right-
i've heard stories of kurt scrambling to find a guitar, a half-hour before a show; he usually smashed one every show, and hten picked up a new one at the next city. Crazy, eh?

~Incidents

dinosaur_jr
09-15-2003, 03:52 PM
thanks alot for the info its much appreciated

Gainer
09-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Cobain used fender japanes strats and fender mustangs.

sambob
09-15-2003, 06:28 PM
I sure hope he didn't smash the mosrite. Those things are damn expensive, and half of them get bought up by rich japanese collectors (that don't even play) before anyone else gets a chance at them!

Polera
09-16-2003, 12:56 AM
He has a new fender guitar out called the jagstand, in which he basically takes a bass body, combines it with elemetns of fender jags and fender mustangs. Still not something i would buy unless i was in a nirvana cover band.

Raskolnikov
09-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Actually, it's a combination Jaguar/Mustang body, and the pickups are a lot hotter than you'd find on either a Jaguar or Mustang.

Cobain wanted a Tune-O-Matic bridge, NOT a Mustang vibrato (which Fender refused to go along with for some unknown reason).

I've played a few, and they're decent guitars, but I think the Cyclone would do the same job a lot better, for cheaper, and with a bit more tuning stability.

PonyOne
09-17-2003, 03:08 AM
The differences between the Jagstang, Mustang and Cyclone are not that severe save for the Cyclone, which is a DAMN fine guitar no matter what you play, which has a tune-o-matic. The jagstang is way hotter because it is designed for higher-gain and easier feedback control (if you've ever tried playing a Jaguar through a Mesa at a gain of 6 or higher you'll know what I mean..... ouch)

Fender released a true Kurt-spec Jagstang under Squier a couple years ago, with a stop tailpiece. But it's a Squier, and it's only available in a hideous silver/black sparkle paintjob. I played one, and it's pure crap.

In the Kurt Cobain journals, there are a few pages of his prototype drawings and notes to Fender, in which he reiterates multiple times that he wants the guitar to be available left handed. There may be next to no lefty Mustangs available because of him, but, at least he was still looking out for all my fellow southpaws...

Incidents Happen
09-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Jagstang......hm.....i think it should be......

Jaguar + Mustang = Mustard

In a yellow mustard color; hell yeah, the mustard revolution.

:D;)

~Incidents