PDA

View Full Version : Underrated AND Overrated guitarists

lalimacefolle
01-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Which guitarists do you think are overrated and which ones are underrated? Please stay away from 'he sucks' I think this thread will be interesting if you bring good reasons...

I would say one of the most overrated guitarists ever is Kirk HAMMETT from Metallica... He uses techniques but he seems not to master them (timing sometimes off, not always perfectly executed with ringing open strings for example) I wouldn't mind if that guy wasn't voted 'Best guitarist' by every mag that has 'guitar' on its cover. But there are guitarist that could take his spot, come up with solos that sound as good as his, and maybe be a little more creative...(Steve MORSE is one of them, and he doesn't get half as much recognition...)

Underrated: Well, his friend, James Hetfield. That guy is an amazing rhythm player, nothing new here, but he can play awesome solos, in a LOT of styles, including country!! And it's him that makes the sound of metallica, one of rock's most influential band ever.
Also, all the guys in the studios that could chop everyone's head off with any guitar, anywhere, in any style... I had this tape by Tommy TEDESCO, and WOW, talk about polyvalence and technique!!! Well, there are lots of them out there!

jack7
01-28-2002, 05:30 PM
over=Ace F.KISS Even i play that good.
under=Zakk W. He contiues to WOW me. And his live
stuff! he's a well rounded player for sure.:cool:

Zeppelin
01-29-2002, 03:14 PM
over: kirk hammet, maybe yngwie malmsteen but im not sure anymore..
under: keith richards, malcolm young, james hetfield, ritchie blackmore (he is the most underated player ever), S.R.V, who became popular in europe only after his death

Benoit
01-30-2002, 12:30 PM
over: I have to say Kirk Hammet

under: I'm into powermetal and you barely hear from those guys. I know the style may not be everyones cup of tea but there are some really good guitarists. A lot of them are equals to malmsteen in speed. Well, that may be the problem. too much speed, sometimes not enough heart. Anyway I think we will find the most underated guitarists in the not so popular styles.

People seems to rate guitarists based on popularity. From what I've seen, the always present contest "who's the best guitarist" should be renamed "who's the most popular". Would Krik Hammet be on the list if he wasn't so popular! Was he consider one of the best when Ride the lightning came out.

I have to agree with Lalimace on Steve Morse. Try to listen to his remake of "Joy to the World" and you'll see.

Christoph
01-30-2002, 02:19 PM
I'd put David Gilmour on the underrated list. He hardly ever did anything fast, but the technique and emotion of his playing always amazed me.

Led Zeppelin
01-30-2002, 06:00 PM
Most guitarists who I would consider overrated I dont listen to much of their stuff so I wouldnt really be able to say.

Underrated though:

Marc Bolan (T Rex) - Great rhythm player, so of his ideas were very innovative. Pity he died so young.

George Harrison (Beatles) - The most underrated guitarist, musician and songwriter ever. Proof is that Frank Sinatra(phoney bastid that he is) used to introduce his version of George's Beatles song "Something" as "his favourite Lennon/McCartney song ever.

Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) - Something alot of guitarists dont understand is his genius. Funnily enough, his biggest fans and biggest critics are all guitarists - the critics usually made up of lead-minded players(but not all mind you)

Robby Krieger (Doors) - Great classically-styled guitarist guitarist. Very underrated but his solo from "Five To One" has been ripped off by KISS and Pearl Jam.

and
Noel Gallagher (Oasis) - Why am I the only one who thinks he is a good guitarist? He can solo, thats for sure. And he can sing and play, sing and solo at the same time(which we all know can be really tricky). which is better than alot of people can do.

chris mood
01-31-2002, 11:12 AM
a lot of people may hate me for this but Eric Clapton is definetly way over rated.

lalimacefolle
01-31-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by chris mood
a lot of people may hate me for this but Eric Clapton is definetly way over rated.

I have thought the same way for years, I guess he is now, but in his time, he was a genius (I guess), the guy has understood blues like noone, and he was a white british guy!! But it always makes me laugh whan anyone tells me I'm amazing because I can play "tears in heaven" while they don't give a shoot about my 24th caprice...

pstring
02-01-2002, 01:17 AM
Over-Rated, Well I have to say most of the "Speed" guys, they are just too, one dimensional, if they even put vocals on the album, the songs are pretty lame, just not my cup of tea for more than about 5 minutes

Way Under-Rated, guys like Jeff Baxter,Rick Derringer, Jimmie Johnson, Steve Cropper, they have played on hundreds of albums, for many different and diverse artists, for many years, they know when to play and when not to play, how to play soft and loud, they add something to the music, just about everybody has heard something they have played on, but don't have any idea of who played the guitar on it, I salute the unsung heroes..............

pstring
02-01-2002, 10:22 AM
One guy I would like to mention and include as under-rated is Peter Frampton, if he would have never recorded anything but "Comes Alive", I would still say he's a great player, he was always very melodic, and fluid in his playing, could improvise well, wrote some cool songs and has a good voice.......

chris mood
02-01-2002, 02:17 PM
I dunno...I always thought he was a very average blues player. Whenever I listen to those collaboration cds it always seems that the other guy(s) play circles around him with so much more depth, especially the B.B. King and Eric Clapton one. B.B's got the blues, Eric in my opinion doesn't.
As far as him being a geius during his young years, well what about Page, Hendrix, Beck, Allman, they were all growing up then and I think they all have a lot more to say musically then Clapton.
The only Clapton I can really stand to listen to is the Cream stuff, together they were great, divided they stank.
just my opinion.

Azrael
02-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Over:

- Yngwie Malmsteen (fast but boring)
- James Hettfield (there is not one metallica song that i could not play one-handed *L*)
- Carl Logan (ManowaR) - I do like manowar - but he´s definitely not half as good as it seems
- Keith Richards (do i need to say anything about a guy who plays a five-string most of the time??)

Under:

- Jeff Beck - NOONE on this planet will ever reach his tone and feeling!
- Jeniffer Batten
- Julian Bream (classical guitar)
- Marco Tamayo (classical guitar)
- Steve Lukather (hundreds of productions would be nothing without him)
- Andrés Segovia (our all daddy)
- All the fabulous guitarists noone ever heard of - there are thousands of real great players and brilliant musicians who live a life of poverty - never recognized by anyone - those guys are realy great, for they´ll never stop making REAL music - even if that means to be abandoned

u10ajf
02-04-2002, 01:54 PM
Underated:

Alex Lifeson from Rush. Between 76 and 82 I think they were a great band. Exit stage left has some painfully exquisitely beautiful solos on it, full of interesting dynamics, tasteful vibratos and speedy runs.
Jennifer Batten; violently gothic perfectly executed stuff. Her range of styles seems to encompass everything from HEnderson to Vai but I prefer her to either.
Shaun Baxter; Jazz metal has more convolutions to it than a bowl of spaghetti, really scary shredding but plenty of musical content to it.

Over-rated
Clapton, what is the big deal? Malmsteem (He's mega talented don't get me wrong but Petrucci beats him at his own game and is more versatile and interesting to boot) Hendrix (Except Voodoo Chile which kicks sooo much ass) and vai (brilliant though he is I much prefer Satriani even though I doubt he can quite match his technique and you dont' get better than for the love of god really do you?) I expect to receive death threats...

friskynibbles
02-04-2002, 04:14 PM
I didn't understand how good Alex from Rush was until recently when a drummer friend of mine wanted me to jam with him. *whistle*
*shrug*

educatedfilm
02-04-2002, 07:09 PM
I dont know if I'm the only one who thinks this...
Under: jeff buckley, Daron Malkan (system of a down), Gordon Giltrap (this man falls into the malmsteem catogry of too much speed and not enough feel sometimes, but the intro to "fear of the drak" is astounding, it has got a FEEL to it, like something very quick and nasty is gonna happen), the guitarist (so under-rated I dont even know his name, but to be fair that's due to him being in the mighty shadow of Les claypoole), Peter buck (listen to him on "lotus")...

Over:yep, you guessed it... Malmsteem (yes he maybe be fast, but is about as intresting to listen to as someone touch type at very high speeds), Via (i just dont get it, it's cheese, and "for the love of god" is hardly an amazing piece of work emotionally... the outro sounds like some sort of delay effect.. in a net shell, it sounds like the music you'd hear for those crappy b-movies, where the cop has just had his partener killed on his last day before retirement, told to hand in his badge etc etc, and is on the seafornt figuring out revernge at sun set), Satraini ("surfing with the alien" CHEEEEEEEESE!!!), paul macartny (Sp) (maybe it's because of his last single.. bloody give war a chance or whatever it was... seriously it makes you look very cynically at his whole career, when they were all for PEACE AND LOVE MAN!! when maybe it was all just because it was selling well at the time)...

this is all my oppinion, and I'm not having a dig at the gutiarists I've said are over-rated....*listens to "jazzy sensation"-afrika bammbata*

markdeaton
02-04-2002, 11:52 PM
Underrated: Vivian Campbell, Jake E. Lee, Rowan Robertson, Craig Goldie

Overrated: Kirk Hammet, the guy from Creed, those two clowns from Korn, Mick Mars, Jimmy Page

u10ajf
02-05-2002, 08:23 AM
I'm no vegan I love cheese, especially the stuff with garlic in it. If you can write music so great that you can write off music Midnight ,echo or crushing day as cheese then I'm really impressed. Personally I rate sufing with the alien as one of the best albums I've ever heard.
Besides, the best thing about many B movies is the music, can't wait for the weepy endings , you know the heart warming father meets long lost son, alien erupts out of son's backside and showers everyone with deadly spore encounters.. Such Pathos.

Here are two more underated votes:

the hellecasters (3 tremendously talented players)
Ed Wynne from Ozric Tentacles (Curious Corn is one of my fave albums)

Thomas Schellhous
02-05-2002, 04:22 PM
I have been severely threatened for voicing this opinion before, but I honestly think that Jimi Hendrix wasn't that good. However, I haven't heard everything from him.
Also, other overrated guitarists include: Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen (most overrated guitarist ever), Ace Frehley, Angus Young, and Kurt Cobain (I like Nirvana, but come on, he was no guitar whiz)

Underrated: Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrel, Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman, and (on a less heavy side) Jesse Cook, whose amazing accuracy and mastery of technique along with his style variety ranging from flamenco to classical amazes me.
Rhoads was a great musician, Hetfield is the driving musical force of Metallica and a great player who is sometimes overshadowed by Kirk Hammett's popuarity, and Pantera and Slayer may not be the most musical bands in the traditional sense, but they still have talent.

educatedfilm
02-06-2002, 07:30 AM
"I'm no vegan I love cheese, especially the stuff with garlic in it. If you can write music so great that you can write off music Midnight ,echo or crushing day as cheese then I'm really impressed. Personally I rate sufing with the alien as one of the best albums I've ever heard.
Besides, the best thing about many B movies is the music, can't wait for the weepy endings , you know the heart warming father meets long lost son, alien erupts out of son's backside and showers everyone with deadly spore encounters.. Such Pathos."

Heh..lol... Midnight is OK, it's nothing amaizing (it reminds me of some of the dance/ trance music... and in my oppionion there's loads of solo guitar classical/ celtic stuff which a lot better) ... the album is definetly the worst thing I've heard (seriously)... I mean Stach is a great guitarist technically, but really he's got that talent where he can like write catchy mobile phone ring tones,nothing too deep... do you know what I mean?
There's no serious emotion on that album... I mean listen to "hope" by REM,, one of the best pieces of music I know, that's because it conveys emotion well (it's slow and not very technical)...
Secondly the reason I dont like b-movie music is it's predictability, and the fact it avoids putting anything new to you... and it lacks any feeling of sencerity or like this is due to a real experience (be it sad or happy)... it just has that horrible artificail taste with it... I mean if you wanna do something and get really fast at it and not convey any emotion, you may aswell take up basket weaving or touch typing...

That's all just my oppinion so dont lose anysleep over it...:)

u10ajf
02-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Typing.. baskete weaving? There might be some truth in that! Raw technical practice is a very bad substitute for inspiration, truth is I spend a lot of time just practising technique, just like I used to practice touch typing, it keeps the hands occupied so you don't realise how bored you are. At least that way you know you are improving on some level. I feel that technical prowess is the only way to objectively separate guitarists but that doesn't mean I prefer mindless shred to listen to. All this shredding can be so dull, every now and again I go through phases of just wanting to give up and do something else, come to think of it I'm a bit short on baskets. Boo hooo.... anyone sell new lives? Too bored. Come on somebody, inspire me!

educatedfilm
02-06-2002, 10:03 AM
:).. nice to know you have a sense of humour...
seriously though.. what do you do for a living etc etc?
I find insparation musically, ironically, by taking a break from music.. sometime you get bogged down...

Lyrically, um i kinda get political... and yes I do read A LOT of books (yes, it's very teenage, you know to read stuff instead of experiencing it), but insipiration is a really dificult thing to look for..

u10ajf
02-06-2002, 11:39 AM
This is what I do:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3210

Write in and tell us all a bit about yourself!

I thought it best to start a new thread since this one's supposed to be about underated/overated guitarists.

See you there!

Ninevoices
02-07-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm new here but I don't see any posts either for or against Steve Howe. I've been a big Yes fan for some time and just started playing which has no baring on this post but I think he is a very underrated guitarist!! Just listen to any of the Yes stuff through the years and its incredible stuff. Like Yes or not his stuff is clean, complex and usually very fresh. I realized how versatile he was by listening to Tales from Topographic Oceans the first time!!! WOW! Any thoughts?

Christoph
02-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by chris mood

I think you're right . . . IF you're talking about his electric playing. On the electric, he's pretty mediocre, but on the acoustic, he has a touch like no other. Every song and solo on the "Unplugged" album is brilliant.

Mai Zure
02-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Overrated: Kirk Cobain
Underrated: Michael Schenker (UFO)

refizul
02-26-2002, 07:52 AM
over: Kirk Hammett
(His solos of the earlier Metallica albums are not really genius, and I must only shook my head when I see the transcriptions in their songbooks..)
under: Michael Romeo (Symphony X)

ciscometal
02-27-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Schellhous
I have been severely threatened for voicing this opinion before, but I honestly think that Jimi Hendrix wasn't that good. However, I haven't heard everything from him.
Also, other overrated guitarists include: Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen (most overrated guitarist ever), Ace Frehley, Angus Young, and Kurt Cobain (I like Nirvana, but come on, he was no guitar whiz)

Underrated: Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrel, Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman, and (on a less heavy side) Jesse Cook, whose amazing accuracy and mastery of technique along with his style variety ranging from flamenco to classical amazes me.
Rhoads was a great musician, Hetfield is the driving musical force of Metallica and a great player who is sometimes overshadowed by Kirk Hammett's popuarity, and Pantera and Slayer may not be the most musical bands in the traditional sense, but they still have talent.

you´re totally right... and you know what ?

i love you

ciscometal
02-27-2002, 03:36 AM
underrated:

Doug Boyle
Jon Schaffer
George Lynch
David Chastain
Mick Mars
the hellecasters guys
Vernon Reid
Dino Cazares
Nuno Bettencourt
Tom Morello
Keb mo

Overrated:

Malmsteen
Richie Sambora
Ace Frehley
The Edge
Randy Rhoads
Keith Richards
eric Clapton

ciscometal
02-27-2002, 03:38 AM
another underrated:

Uli Jon Roth

spliphiticus
03-02-2002, 05:42 PM
To be honest I don't think any successfull guitar player is over rated or under. I feel it is what you bring to the table that sets you apart and to each his own. But the most briliant guitar players I have ever heard are little known and some are local guys. To say who have impressed me the most and are famous, and who hasn't, that is a different subject. Impressed: Jimi (of course) Dicky Betts,Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Warren Hanes, Steve Morse, Albert King (and all the king bros for that matter hehe) Walter Becker, Larry Carlton, Jango Reinhardt,Steve Morse, Johnny Winter, Chet Atkins, Mark Knopler, Alvin Lee, Steve Ray, Carlos, Los Idios Tabaharas, George Harrison just to name a few off the top of my head...(this list can get extremely long)And Unimpressed by most of the now guitar players that don't extend their instrument beyond noise, tho I do respect the athletisism it takes to play some of those rythems =)

kristian
03-03-2002, 09:11 PM
overrated: eddie van halen, kirk hammett, john williams(classical), dave mustaine, kurt cobain, billy corgan, kim thayil.... some of these guys made it to the 100 greatest solos of all time in guitar world. duh??? whats the deal here??

underrated: nuno bettencourt, dimebag darrell, scot henderson, shawn lane, paco de lucia (and friends), jennifer batten, kevin eubanks.... some guitarists don't even know they exist.

kickeybear
03-07-2002, 06:07 AM
Overrated: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnston, Hammet, all those guys who forget that the song is the most important thing.

Underrated: Pete Townsend, Paul Weller, Bernard Butler, Rory Gallagher (maybe not underrated as such, but certainly deserves more acclaim), Slash, The Edge, Keith Richards, Steve Marriott, Steve Craddock, Steve Cropper, George Benson, I could go on...

Maybe great songs are just so much bigger than the musicians who play them. If so, terrific, because they should be. Maybe if the Beatles hadn't written such excellent songs, we would only remeber George Harrison's superb if understated playing. Better than average playing gets noticed in a lousy song. Great musicianship in a crap song is like salt and vinegar with no chips!!!!!

Here endeth the outburst

^Chacron^
03-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Finally someone who sees things the way I do :)

The last time I posted on a 'greatest guitarists every' board i was the only one who came up with Lifeson. Nice to know i'm not alone in the guitarist-universe.

The Other One
08-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Overated:
Ace Frehly
Tom Delonge
Avril Lavigne
Dave Mustaine
and so much more....

Underrated:
Frank Zappa
Alex Lifeson
Dave Grohl
Jerry Garcia
Jeff Beck
Johny Mac
The Edge

the list goes on.....

Slow Diver
08-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Overrated: All shredders. SHredding is not at all that difficult and a lot of kids get a WOW(God, I hate that expression) when the hear someone playin with 200 kmph. Personaly, I dont' find it musicala at all.
Underrated: Guys who dont shred for some reason. Lately, however it appears that more and more of guitarists whom I have thought of as nonshredders, as guys who were never able to play fast solos, turn out that they can doit. Examples, Mike Einziger(Incubus) solos his ass off in one song of Incubus' 1st album. The same goes with Tool's guitarplayer -- in one song in the 1st album he goes running up and down the fretboard.
I don't want to start again the epic war between the shredders and the nonshredders but I had to make this point.

Evo
08-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Overated: Hammett (i love metallica but he aint the special one), Hendrix (sorry he was good, influential and original at the time but I haven't heard anything that I've wanted to buy yet)

Underated: Dimebag, Rocky George (ex suicidal tendencies)

The Other One
08-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Evo
Hendrix sorry he was good, influential and original at the time but I haven't heard anything that I've wanted to buy yet

Then you havent heard anything....:)

Gainer
08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
I think that B.B. King is underrated as is john fruciante of RHCP.
Overrated:Kirk Hammett(I really really love Metallica and kirk hammett is good but he gets too overrated, he's not the best.

lalimacefolle
08-26-2003, 06:22 PM
****, that thread is back from the grave :)
Talking about the Red Hots, their last song that gets played on the radio, With the funky intro.... Wooohoooo, that's some groovy ****...
BBking is totally inderrated, that's true, I own the DVD that came out with the 3 tapes he made, and dude, he can rip through the changes of a jazz tune like any jazz cat.. Some say that BB is a big belly, a bent note and funny faces... well, there's more to it...

Pantallica1
08-26-2003, 06:58 PM
THE SLUG!!! THE SLUG!!! IT'S BAAACCCKKK!!!!!

AHHHHH!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES (err, walk) !!!!!

lalimacefolle
08-26-2003, 07:44 PM
I found it in an OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOld backup I had done... It is still copyrighted, but it seems the guy went out of business...

Led Zeppelin
08-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
Some say that BB is a big belly, a bent note and funny faces... well, there's more to it...

Well, they are very funny faces

Mick Mars
Brian Setzer
Justin Timberlake

Number of the Beast
08-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Justin Timberlake plays guitar? And what's with all this Eddie VanHalen bashing I've been reading? Is it just hard to swallow how awesome that guy is?

The Other One
08-26-2003, 11:37 PM
lol yea he plays guitar....havent you ever seen that episode of 'Punk'd' where those guys smash it LMAO...prolli cant play very good though lol that would be funny to hear.....:)

Fruitbat
08-27-2003, 05:14 AM
Depends on genres and their level of profile. There are many top players in the jazz, bluegrass, country and folk areas but these are 'specialist' non-mass market tastes and so tend not to be known in the outside world.

In the rock and blues world I'd say the most criminally underrated/unexposed players are

Danny Gatton - could play almost any style brilliantly
Hellecasters - Will Ray, John Jourgensen, Jerry Donahue. These 3 could play the arse off anyone out there, no problem.
Tom Morello - the sounds he can get out of his guitar
Skunk Baxter and Denny Dias - their work with Steely Dan. technique, taste, tunes..all there.
Elliot Randall - for the solo on 'Reelin in the years'
Dicky Betts - it was him on 'Jessica' not Duane.
Roy Buchanan - same as with Danny Gatton
Mike Keneally - every bit as good as Satch, Vai etc

Overrated - depends who's doing the rating. you've gotta be objective about this and not write off players just cos you dont like their material. I dont go a bunch on Dream Theater, Malmsteen, Vai, Pantera, Zep & Yes but I recognise theyre decent players.

aiwass
08-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Underrated: Anyone I listen to, really. In the public eye, I would say John Petrucci, but among guitarists and other musicians, he and DT are living legends, so I'll leave that topic for now.

Anyway, those of higher obscurity:

Jason Becker - Might not be so underrated, but deserves a mention. INSANE technique and very mature songwriting and musicality at such a young age. A great loss to the guitar community, but rumor has it he's showing signs of recovery.

Michael Romeo - Symphony X is every bit as talented as DT technically, and have a quality FAR beyond any other power metal-esque band around. Also, Russel Allen is easily the BEST singer in the genre.

Ron Thal - Is there anything this man cannot play? Speed, complicated lines, notes tapped with a thimble, all within the context of REALLY tasteful (and usually humorous) songs with great vocals. Gotta love that.

George Bellas - People think Angelo is fast... *Rolls eyes*

Stephan Forte - There has never been talent like this within a major band context (Adagio) before. His chops rival those of any Cooley, Romeo or Angelo out there, yet his tone and musical "pizzaz" are also brilliant, and he writes friggin' cool neoclassical metal, too! Also, the rest of the band are prodigies too, reminiscent of one of those "all star" bands.

Mick Thomson - So what if he doesn't solo in Slipknot? So what if Slipknot kinda suck? That doesn't mean he can't play guitar! Fact is, he's a kickass shred player with strong roots in both death metal and neoclassical. I've always had a soft spot for that combination;)

Shawn Lane - God damn. Scares the living sh*t outta me... So fast, so good at improvising, such a good tone (no, I'm not talking about the kind you get from your li'l Boss Metal Zone, I mean from the fingers!), and just an overall grasp of music and his instrument that it is just plain sick.

Allan Holdsworth - Hard to explain. An alien. Just listen to his stuff. Improv does not get any crazier than this guy, and if you try to play his chords, you'll be hospitalized with an extra elbow growing from your wrist after about an hour...

Jeff Beck - Pure genius. An example of incredibly challenging technique, without the use of speed.

Also worth a mention: Marcel Coenen (Sun Caged), Marshall Harrison (does what Gambale does better than Gambale himself), Bireli LaGrene (gypsy guitarists scare me...), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Fredrik Thordendahl from Meshuggah (I didn't know Holdsworth occasionally grew his hair long and played in a Swedish death metal band... *scratches head*)

Overrated: Anyone on the f*cking radio, really, but my personal "favorites" are:

Carlos Santana - To me, he's just like Yngwie in that he created a unique combination of genres, and kept milking that cow bone dry, rehashing the same licks and melodic ideas over and over until it just became a grooming of his ego, while people still maintained that he's "the best". Bollocks to that! Besides, he has nowhere near the speed and vibrato possessed by the Yng-man.

Keith Richards - What Az (I think it was him) said. He plays on five strings, tuned to an open tuning, and is, if you ask me, about as interesting to listen to as an ageing librarian talking about her newfound hobby, knitting. Besides, I never got what was so good about the Stones anyway. "Satisfaction" sounds like crap as far as I am concerned, and I never heard a shred of melody in Jagger's voice...

b_hoves
09-01-2003, 06:55 AM
under rated: the guys from the eagles, i think there are two that always play guitar, and one that swaps from guitar to piano, not the best guitarist i know, but they can be credited with some of the best songs ever.

Evo
09-01-2003, 08:07 AM
For some reason when there's two guitarists in a band they tend to be underated take for example Dave Murray and Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden or KK Downing and Glen Tipton from Judas Priest.

ice9
09-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by educatedfilm
"I'm no vegan I love cheese, especially the stuff with garlic in it. If you can write music so great that you can write off music Midnight ,echo or crushing day as cheese then I'm really impressed. Personally I rate sufing with the alien as one of the best albums I've ever heard.
Besides, the best thing about many B movies is the music, can't wait for the weepy endings , you know the heart warming father meets long lost son, alien erupts out of son's backside and showers everyone with deadly spore encounters.. Such Pathos."

Heh..lol... Midnight is OK, it's nothing amaizing (it reminds me of some of the dance/ trance music... and in my oppionion there's loads of solo guitar classical/ celtic stuff which a lot better) ... the album is definetly the worst thing I've heard (seriously)... I mean Stach is a great guitarist technically, but really he's got that talent where he can like write catchy mobile phone ring tones,nothing too deep... do you know what I mean?
There's no serious emotion on that album... I mean listen to "hope" by REM,, one of the best pieces of music I know, that's because it conveys emotion well (it's slow and not very technical)...
Secondly the reason I dont like b-movie music is it's predictability, and the fact it avoids putting anything new to you... and it lacks any feeling of sencerity or like this is due to a real experience (be it sad or happy)... it just has that horrible artificail taste with it... I mean if you wanna do something and get really fast at it and not convey any emotion, you may aswell take up basket weaving or touch typing...

That's all just my oppinion so dont lose anysleep over it...:) I dont get it.......saying theres no emotion in satrianis playing.Actually I hate these kind of threads because it always ends up in a pissing contest and no one listens to or cares what others think of their favorite artist.I dont care if 999 out of 1000 people say malmsteen or satch or vai sucks because its not going to make me go out and burn my collection.I think this thread should have been to list most underated and leave it at that.Which some of u have done and i commend u for it.

ice9
09-07-2003, 08:40 AM
most underated
Neil Young

Jolly McJollyson
09-07-2003, 06:28 PM
pfff! OVERRATED: Neil Young. He's nothing special. An amazing lyricist, and a decent harmonica player. But when it comes to guitar, he just strums like some idiot nancy boy.

UnderRated: Van Halen. He's so awesome, that he makes people think he's less awesome than he really is (it boggles the mind).

metalisbest
09-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Overrated, underrated, it doesn't matter. They got the record deals and we don't. I would never call a guitarist overrated because you only judge them by what you've heard and have no idea how much talent or ability they have. I think SRV is still underrated though.

b_hoves
09-07-2003, 10:03 PM
yeah, i can't really rate guitarist as over rated, mainly because they are probibly all better than i am at this point. :D

Pantallica1
09-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Overrated:
1)Yngwie: Same stuff over and over, nothing new. Plus, his pompous attitude is annoying.

2)Jack White: The dude writes the sloppiest, crappy sounding riffs and songs, I've heard in a while, and Rolling Stone decides he's one of the top 100 guitarist of ALL TIME!!!

Underrated:

1)Mick (Sh*tknot): In Slipknot, not so good, without Slipknot, very good.

2)Michael Angelo: I don't care how many of you think he's slow and what not. The dude can play the guitar. Left handed as well as right handed. He can play 2 guitars at once. (and for those who aren't familiar with Angelo, it isn't a doubleneck guitar, it's a guitar with 2 necks that connect in the middle, like a V, one is truly left handed, one is truly right handed.) He actually has a quadruple necked guitar (think two double necks, one left handed, one right handed), and plays them at the same time. Enough said.

3)Jason Becker - Great mix of melody with speed. Not the same rehashing over and over again.

4)Lalimacefolle :D - Plain awesomeness.

Just my 2c

[Edited by Pantallica1 on 09-08-2003 at 12:58 AM]

ice9
09-08-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
pfff! OVERRATED: Neil Young. He's nothing special. An amazing lyricist, and a decent harmonica player. But when it comes to guitar, he just strums like some idiot nancy boy.

UnderRated: Van Halen. He's so awesome, that he makes people think he's less awesome than he really is (it boggles the mind).
If hes overrated no one has mentioned him on this thread but me.Listen to cortez the killer and get back to me.
He is a brilliant lead player,no one sounds like that and i love the tone he gets.
Yes and I love van halen also.I dont just look for fast good players but also very good players with well placed notes and awesome tone.
I think ted nugent needs also mentioned here.If for nothing but the song stranglehold.I NEVER get tired of hearing that solo,its one of the best ive heard from anyone.

jdarr
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Neil Young is completely unique as a player.....if your listening to harvest or harvest moon maybe he is mainly simply strumming but if you listen to his work with Crazy Horse, particularly live, then you get abetter picture of what he is all about.

Blues_Man
09-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Over-rated
Clapton, what is the big deal? Malmsteem (He's mega talented don't get me wrong but Petrucci beats him at his own game and is more versatile and interesting to boot) Hendrix (Except Voodoo Chile which kicks sooo much ass) and vai (brilliant though he is I much prefer Satriani even though I doubt he can quite match his technique and you dont' get better than for the love of god really do you?) I expect to receive death threats...

How can you call Jimi hendrix overrated? :eek:

deathly_chill
10-30-2005, 11:09 PM
well there are millions of underated players man but the first couple that spring to my mind are

marty friedman
randy rhoads
dimebag darrell a.ka darrell abbott
chris poland
dave mustaine
alex skolnick
jason becker
jake e lee
cliff burton as a bass player

ok thats what springs to mymind man and the most over rated couple would be

paul mccartney
the guy from sterophonics last name jones
peter townsend
elvis presseley

yeah man hey it :D :) doesnt mean these guitarists arent good man just in my opinion they get alittle too much hype man

z0s0_jp
10-31-2005, 12:37 AM
I'm new here but I don't see any posts either for or against Steve Howe. I've been a big Yes fan for some time and just started playing which has no baring on this post but I think he is a very underrated guitarist!! Just listen to any of the Yes stuff through the years and its incredible stuff. Like Yes or not his stuff is clean, complex and usually very fresh. I realized how versatile he was by listening to Tales from Topographic Oceans the first time!!! WOW! Any thoughts?
i would say steve howe is probably THEE most underated guitarist ever....(dimebag a close second and don't forget al dimieola) -----the overated department is tough 'cause while they get the praise they deserve, there are many that are just as good...BUT they don't have kick ass licks and riffs that the "overated" came up with. having said that, Ace Frehley sucked then and now....just one stolen lick after another.....!@#$$#@@

tehplatypus
11-02-2005, 01:48 PM
overrated: steve vai. though talented, his songs don't represent his true experience working with frank zappa and taking lessons from satch. mediocre shredder, mediocre song writers.

underrated: kendal jones. i bet none of your mofos have even heard of him! he was shredding it up with fishbone and is responsible for not only some of the best solos ever heard out of fishbone but also some of the best lyrics and music heard out of fishbone.

Pantallica1
11-02-2005, 06:09 PM
overrated: steve vai. though talented, his songs don't represent his true experience working with frank zappa and taking lessons from satch. mediocre shredder, mediocre song writers.

underrated: kendal jones. i bet none of your mofos have even heard of him! he was shredding it up with fishbone and is responsible for not only some of the best solos ever heard out of fishbone but also some of the best lyrics and music heard out of fishbone.

How can you say Vai is overrated? He pushes the boundaries of guitar playing with every album and can make some of the weirdest sounds with a trem bar around. The man can play fast and tastefully, and is in no way overrated. And for reference, he didn't "take lessons" from Satch. Satch introduced him and got him started playing guitar, as they lived in the same neighborhood.

Just because Vai is one of the most famous players doesn't make him overrated. There's a reason he is famous, because people like his music.

Overrated: Hammet. No explanation necessary.

Underrated: There's a lot. But in my book Shawn Lane. Amazing player and died way before his prime. His legato runs are just amazing. RIP Shawn!

CW14
11-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Overrated: Sorry Kirk.

Underrated:
-James Hetfield... the god of songwriting in my books. Amazing rhythm player.
-Jeff Hanneman... responsible for most of the awesome Slayer riffs (ie. Raining Blood)
-Alexi Laiho... writes songs of major ass-kickery. All-round amazing player.
-Dave Gilmour... not really underrated, but I thought I'd put him here because of his awesomeness.

[EDIT]: I'll add Yngwie Malmsteen to the overrated list.

Ibanezshredda14
11-04-2005, 12:07 AM
i dont know if anyone has said this yet but i think Eric Johnson is soo underrated because i hadn't ever heard of him til i got the G3-Live in Concert 96 cd for my b-day, he was one of the most emotional players i ever heard in my life, plus he's sane and plays different styles every song, not just the same old song over and over again
overrated:
EVH, I KNOW!!! HE IS A VERY INFLUENTIAL PLAYER!!! dont get me wrong
but Sammy Hagar deserves as much credit as he(Eddie) does for keeping the band together

FireAndIce24
11-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Malmsteen overratted? you cant be overrated if nobody likes you. (no seriously, name five people on this board that actually LOVE his stuff and can listen to it for hours...lol jk)

Rhoads is pretty underrated only due to the fact that hes dead and not many people know him.

Zakk seems to be really overrated by non-guitarrists and underratted by guitarists. werid how that works out.
and to the guy who said EVH is overrated, id like to know why you would think that.

Rsam16
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Overrated : Jack White

I don't know what Rolling Stone was smoking when they put him at number 17 of the top 100 players of all time. In front of names like: Zappa,Buddy Guy,Brian May,Van Halen,Randy Rhoads,Angus Young, and a Lot of other players who White can't even play half as good as. (i.e. Joe Perry #48)

A big load of BS to me.

Underated: The Edge,Dave Gilmour.

Kaffirlime
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I dunno...I always thought he was a very average blues player. Whenever I listen to those collaboration cds it always seems that the other guy(s) play circles around him with so much more depth, especially the B.B. King and Eric Clapton one. B.B's got the blues, Eric in my opinion doesn't.
As far as him being a geius during his young years, well what about Page, Hendrix, Beck, Allman, they were all growing up then and I think they all have a lot more to say musically then Clapton.
The only Clapton I can really stand to listen to is the Cream stuff, together they were great, divided they stank.

OK first of all let me apologise for replying to a response which was posted some time ago but i've just picked up on this thread and It's one i'd like to answer because i've been a fan of EC for many many years. The thing I'd say about Clapton is he's been around a very very long time and released an awful lot of material and in that time (inevitably) some of it has been sheer crud. I only have to think back to stuff like Ocean Boulevard and I could curl up and die but by the same token I can listen to the Bluesbreakers Beano album to this day and marvel at the genius of the guy. Let me qualify that last point because you can listen to that album and it's clear that Clapton was still learning his craft and was not as fluid as he would become (which gives me great personal hope) but the point is he was the first real white guy to play like that (some-one is going to come on now and say "oh no he wasn't"). You could probably name many guitarists today who 'might' be better (impossible to prove though I would think) but would they be who they are without Clapton? Even Eric Johnson claims Clapton to be his main source of inspiration and reason he ever picked up the guitar in the first place.

On the point of collaboration CDs I think it's more a case that EC doesn't have anything to prove and let's the other guys 'play circles around him'. Interestingly I've been listening to the new BB King 80th birthday album on which EC plays 'The Thrill is Gone" with him. The way the CD is produced is that BB is alway on the right channel (I think) and the guest artist is always on the left. Listen to the thrill is gone by panning from BB King and EC and I promise you you'll end up with tears in your eyes if you've ever been a fan of BB. The guy just doesn't have the licks or tone anymore whereas EC's playing has as much fire and soul as he's ever had. OK BB is 80 now so we can forgive him but EC is little more than 20 years younger.

Last point. I'd love to agree that Hendrix has a lot more to say musically but sadly I think that's no possible :D (OK I'm being pedantic)

Anyway -Over-rated Guitarist. Sadly I'd have to say Rory Gallagher. I was a great fan as a teenager but re-listening to his stuff now there doesn't seem to be any finesse

Under-rated guitarist? How about Robin trower? Not heard Bridge of Sighs in years but boy did I love that album.

For me though the most under-rated guitarist has to be John Martyn - Brilliant song-writer and multi-talented musician (although far better on acoustic than electric) who has never seemed to get recognition outside of the Uk (and not that much in the UK come to think of it).

ericthecableguy
11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Overrated : Jack White

I don't know what Rolling Stone was smoking when they put him at number 17 of the top 100 players of all time. In front of names like: Zappa,Buddy Guy,Brian May,Van Halen,Randy Rhoads,Angus Young, and a Lot of other players who White can't even play half as good as. (i.e. Joe Perry #48)

A big load of BS to me.

That whole damn list is BS. Besides a few names... And what gets me is why rolling stone decided they had the right to create that list.

Rsam16
11-08-2005, 09:14 PM
That whole damn list is BS. Besides a few names... And what gets me is why rolling stone decided they had the right to create that list.

I know, it's like if GuitarWorld magazine picked the top 100 hip-hop artist of all time :D

I know that rolling stone is a music magazine, but they shouldn't pick who they "think" the top 100 of all time are.

just a thought :)

Tele Master
11-08-2005, 09:31 PM
sigh....is this one back again.

Oyster
01-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I agree with Kaffirlime about Robin Trower hes definelty a good guitarist, but as for eric clapton i cannot stand that dude.

jiujitsu_jesus
01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
OVERRATED
-Billie Joe Armstrong (okay, he writes great punk riffs, but "Greatest Rock Guitarist of 2005?" Jeez...)
-Zakk Wylde (like Malmsteen - fast, but repetitive, showy and forgettable)
-Yngwie Malmsteen (yadda yadda yadda)
-John Petrucci (I do like this guy - his bluesier stuff is great - but he does overdo things a bit)
-John Mayer (he just hasn't got soul! :( )
-Tony Iommi (great riff writer, definitely. The greatest? I don't think so)

UNDERRATED
-Andres Segovia (who's your daddy? :D )
-Dave Gilmour (this man is a genius! He does not get enough credit)
-Chris deGarmo (yeah, a personal favourite, but I seriously think he's got much more ability than many people give him credit for - he's a great songwriter, and his solos are just unforgettable)
-Darren Middleton & Ian Haug of Powderfinger (A pair of talented guitarists with incredible versatility. Listen to "Odyssey No. 5" - they touch on everything from blues to pop, psychedelia to metal)
-Matt Bachand (Another personal favourite :p , but he's overshadowed by Jon Donais simply because he [Donais] is the lead guitarist. Deserves a lot more credit for Shadows Fall's sound)
and...
KIRK HAMMETT (Go ahead and flame me, but I'm not joking. People slag him for being trashy and commercial - and maybe he is - but let's face it: he's one of the men who inspired a generation of rock guitarists to pick up an axe. Granted, his solos on "Kill 'em All" and "Ride the Lightning" are pure cheese, but his later work is much more controlled and tasteful)

Sorry for rambling on, guys. You can rip shreds off me now lol

ericthecableguy
01-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Underrated:
Robben Ford

aschleman
01-18-2006, 10:33 AM
OVERRATED
-John Mayer (he just hasn't got soul! :( )

Hm.. have you listened to any of his live stuff?? Saying that John Mayer doesn't have soul is saying that Stevie Ray Vaughan doesn't have soul... Not saying John Mayer is AS good of a blues player as Stevie... just saying that his style reflects a lot of Stevie. I think you may be saying this because he's trying to take a more pop approach to blues... but listen to "Any Given Thursday" and tell me that he has no soul when he covers "Lenny" the solo to "Covered in Rain" is also really good. If anything I would say he doesn't get enough recognition as a good guitar player. I don't think Zakk Wylde is overrated either... I especially loved his work on Book of Shadows and Pride and Glory. I agree with most others though... Its all opinion

Cryptic Excretions
01-18-2006, 12:12 PM
My over rated award goes to Alexi Lahio, Kerry King, and the entire crew of Slipknot. A while ago Alexi wrote some good stuff, but these days he seems to be excluding any form of creativity in his writing. Children of Bodom's name is getting bigger and bigger, but for some reason their quality of music is getting worse and worse. For the hype, they're over rated. And Kerry King, in his prime he was good, but c'mon. After all these years and he's still doing the same old stuff? I say retire you old, bald goon. And finally, Slipknot just plain sucks. I keep hearing about how they're actually really good musicians, but I've yet to see any of them apply any of it.

arska007
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
i think the most underrated guitarist is malcom young from ac/dc,
and i have to say that you are wrong about Alexi Laiho just because im from finland, though i dont like children of bodom

jiujitsu_jesus
01-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Kerry King is DEFINITELY overrated. The guy doesn't even seem to use scales half the time - he just hits a bunch of off-notes really fast!

I don't dislike John Mayer just because he takes a more pop-influenced approach to blues. In fact, I am a big fan of other players who take such an approach (SRV, Robert Cray, Mark Knopfler). I just don't think Mayer pulls it off as well as the rock press would have you believe.

Another underrated guitarist is Jeff Beck. How did Eric Clapton manage to steal this guy's limelight?

Akira
01-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Another underrated guitarist is Jeff Beck. How did Eric Clapton manage to steal this guy's limelight?

Jeff Beck is the man.

MSF06
01-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Some one I have been listening to for a few years now is Robben Ford but I never hear any mention of him until this thread. I have seen him play a couple of times and from what I have seen/heard he is quite good.

MSF

aschleman
01-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Jeff Beck is the man.

I love "JB's Blues" its one of my ringtones. He has a killer tone in that song!! I also like him becuase he's a fellow supporter of Fender Stratocasters...

Superhuman
01-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Overrated: Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Angus Young

Underated: Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse, Greg Howe, Theodore Ziras

I also have to disagree with everyone who says Kirk Hammet is a crap player, just listen to the solos on the Justice For All album... and as far as not being accurate goes... please! Maybe if he's loaded playing live but mention one flaw on any Metallica cd.

Cryptic Excretions
01-26-2006, 11:19 AM

I also have to disagree with everyone who says Kirk Hammet is a crap player, just listen to the solos on the Justice For All album... and as far as not being accurate goes... please! Maybe if he's loaded playing live but mention one flaw on any Metallica cd.
Uh... St. Anger?

Editor's note: I mean the album as a whole, not just the title track.

Jolly McJollyson
01-26-2006, 11:32 AM

The Solo to Seek and Destroy.

jiujitsu_jesus
01-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Kirk Hammett is NOT a crap player. He ain't the special one, true, but neither is he as sloppy as many would have you believe. His soloing on "The Black Album", "Load" and "Reload" is controlled and impressive, and even some of his showier stuff on "...And Justice For All" and "Master of Puppets" is impeccably precise. Okay, so he makes mistakes on some recordings, but he was never purporting to be a technical wizard. He's the lead guitarist in a flamboyant heavy metal band, and his job is to play flamboyant solos that people will remember; and I think he does that quite well.

Superhuman - I agree with you on Clapton and Richards, but Angus Young? Why?

Superhuman
01-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Kirk Hammett is NOT a crap player. He ain't the special one, true, but neither is he as sloppy as many would have you believe. His soloing on "The Black Album", "Load" and "Reload" is controlled and impressive, and even some of his showier stuff on "...And Justice For All" and "Master of Puppets" is impeccably precise. Okay, so he makes mistakes on some recordings, but he was never purporting to be a technical wizard. He's the lead guitarist in a flamboyant heavy metal band, and his job is to play flamboyant solos that people will remember; and I think he does that quite well.

Superhuman - I agree with you on Clapton and Richards, but Angus Young? Why?

I like Angus and think he is a good player but I can't for the life of me understand why he gets voted into so many top 10 guitarists of all time lists that's all. He ain't bad thats for sure, but is he overated? YES!!!

Cryptic, ok I agree, the St Anger cd is a big steaming dog turd but the earlier stuff was amazing. I actually like the leads on Kill Em All, yes it's cheesy and over the top by todays standards but for it's time it was ground breaking material.

Jolly, I 've never noticed any mistakes in Seek And Destroy, but then again I havent listened THAT closely recently. If there is one there, "I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness" (name that movie)

Jolly McJollyson
01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I like Angus and think he is a good player but I can't for the life of me understand why he gets voted into so many top 10 guitarists of all time lists that's all. He ain't bad thats for sure, but is he overated? YES!!!

Cryptic, ok I agree, the St Anger cd is a big steaming dog turd but the earlier stuff was amazing. I actually like the leads on Kill Em All, yes it's cheesy and over the top by todays standards but for it's time it was ground breaking material.

Jolly, I 've never noticed any mistakes in Seek And Destroy, but then again I havent listened THAT closely recently. If there is one there, "I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness" (name that movie)
Well, the thing about Hammet is he hits a lot of off notes. When he's tremolo picking you can hear him hit a lot of notes twice that he means to hit only once and such.

jiujitsu_jesus
01-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, the thing about Hammett is he hits a lot of off notes.

Yeah, some of his stuff is sloppy, and he is nowhere near as tasteful a player as Scott Ian or Marty Friedman and the Megadeth crowd. Still, he's managed to create some of the most memorable lead guitar parts in modern rock, despite his sloppiness, and I applaud him for that. And he's great live - few thrash guitarists can wow the audience like Kirk Hammett can.

Superhuman, I agree with you to an extent - in terms of skill, Angus Young cannot hold a candle to other popular guitarists like Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page. But, like these men (and indeed, like Kirk Hammett), he's used what skill he has to compose anthemic guitar solos that are famous the world over. There are plenty who can play with more technical skill or stylistic originality than Angus, but there are few who can reach out to such a huge audience with such impact.

CW14
01-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I couldn't care less how sloppy Kirk Hammet is. His style just gets on my nerves after a while.

He's a good player, and I really like some of his work. Just a tad overrated, IMO.

jiujitsu_jesus
01-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Another guitarist whom I consider overrated (and I'm sure you're all going to flame me for this): Chet Atkins.

Yes, it's difficult to compare him to modern players. Yes, he's influenced so many guitarists it's mind-boggling. Yes, I hate country music with the withering venom of a thousand vipers :D . But really, is his music all that great (or even worth examining)? Was he really all that jaw-droppingly skilful?
I just don't get what's so wonderful about this guy!

Jolly McJollyson
01-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Another guitarist whom I consider overrated (and I'm sure you're all going to flame me for this): Chet Atkins.

Yes, it's difficult to compare him to modern players. Yes, he's influenced so many guitarists it's mind-boggling. Yes, I hate country music with the withering venom of a thousand vipers :D . But really, is his music all that great (or even worth examining)? Was he really all that jaw-droppingly skilful?
I just don't get what's so wonderful about this guy!
Pick up a DVD and watch him play "Stars and Stripes Forever."

ozzfest080605
01-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Did anyone ever hear of the metal band CORONER they are so underratted for a great band

RIP
DIMEBAG-PANTERA
RANDY RHOADS-OZZY
JIMI HENDRIX-JIMI HENDRIX
CHRIS OLIVIA-SAVATAGE
KURT COBAIN-NIRVANA
and anyone else I forgot ;)

jiujitsu_jesus
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Dude, you forgot Cliff Burton! :( How could you? *sniff*

eclecto69
02-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Overrated:
Yngwie Malmsteen: A little bit goes a loooooong way with speed, wide vibratos, and did I mention speed? I do like some of his work (Blitzkrieg, Black Star), but after a while it's just a yawn, and sometimes downright ghastly, especially his non-instrumentals (I am a Viking)

Underrated:
JEFF BECK: One of the very few guys who can play a guitar without sounding like he's playing a guitar. Can take a jazz tune and make it rock, and vice versa. And no one can match his tone versatility (due in part, it must be admitted to a wide range of effects pedals). Three words: Blow by blow

jiujitsu_jesus
02-03-2006, 12:43 AM
You're absolutely right on both counts. Jeff Beck rocks!

magicninja
02-03-2006, 02:50 AM
"I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness" (name that movie)
Ace Ventura When Nature Calls. It's the part where he keeps stepping on Greenwalls shoe until he finally gets pissed and says something.

For the record I really don't care for Hammet that much either.

z0s0_jp
02-03-2006, 04:16 AM
wut is up with malmsteen always puckering like a girl for the camera......i cannot stand him :mad:

eclecto69
02-04-2006, 12:26 PM
wut is up with malmsteen always puckering like a girl for the camera......i cannot stand him :mad:

that's so true!!! hahaha :D

Rsam16
02-04-2006, 02:15 PM
For everybody here who says Clapton is overrated,
Watch this video

"Have You Ever Loved a Woman"(Blues in C) (http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1207213&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.singingfish.com)

That is some Crazy Blues Playing
C'mon You gotta admit that it's pretty Impressive.

jiujitsu_jesus
02-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, Clapton is a damn good player. I suppose I'm just bored of him because I've grown up with my Dad's crusty old Eric Clapton CDs on high rotation as background noise!

Akira
02-05-2006, 07:24 AM

And those kicks he does... *shudder*

alucard0941
02-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Did anyone ever hear of the metal band CORONER they are so underratted for a great band

RIP
DIMEBAG-PANTERA
RANDY RHOADS-OZZY
JIMI HENDRIX-JIMI HENDRIX
CHRIS OLIVIA-SAVATAGE
KURT COBAIN-NIRVANA
and anyone else I forgot ;)
oh dude, Criss Oliva is one of the most underrated guitarist ever. He's definitly one of the highlights of eighties shredders.

alucard0941
02-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Actually, I like alot of Malsteen's songs with lyrics. It makes me want to sing in high pitches with no pants :p

Jolly McJollyson
02-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Actually, I like alot of Malsteen's songs with lyrics. It makes me want to sing in high pitches with no pants :p
Why would high pitches have no pants in the first place?

z0s0_jp
02-05-2006, 10:32 PM
oh dude, Criss Oliva is one of the most underrated guitarist ever. He's definitly one of the highlights of eighties shredders.
SIRENS!!!!!!! Savatage was one of my fav's :cool:

alucard0941
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Why would high pitches have no pants in the first place?
the singer never wears pants, it was only funny if youve ever seen Malmsteen and band in concert.

Jolly McJollyson
02-05-2006, 10:57 PM
the singer never wears pants, it was only funny if youve ever seen Malmsteen and band in concert.
I know, I'm just poking a bit of fun at your misplaced modifier.

z0s0_jp
02-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I know, I'm just poking a bit of fun at your misplaced modifier.
lay off him goose you silly are singing high pitchedly ;)

alucard0941
02-06-2006, 04:43 PM
ahhh Jolly, your so observant.
I just found what you meant...

YO MOMMA's MODIFIER'S MISPLACED

Akira
02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
ahhh Jolly, your so observant.
I just found what you meant...

YO MOMMA's MODIFIER'S MISPLACED

I must congratulate you on your cunning application of alliteration.

alucard0941
02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
and yet again, I found out some hidden joke in my post that I didnt even account for...

Geez, I must have bad eyes :p

jiujitsu_jesus
02-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Yet another underrated guitarist (I could go on all year :p ): Syd Barrett, formerly of Pink Floyd.

damaged
02-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Over rated: ZACK WYLDE wow i wonder how many more products he can get his name on? next time u go to mc donalds look for a mc zack burger.....

Underated: Dimebag darrel people may disagree....but f$#K them....if people think zack wylde is underrated his just a try hard dimebag...

oh and scott ian from anthrax sick rythem lol how do u spell it :P?

aschleman
02-08-2006, 09:28 AM
hmm.. Zakk Wylde may be overrated in some peoples book and I can agree to an extent... But I still love watching and listening to him play... And him and Dimebag aren't THAT much alike in the way that they play... and if he did come out with a McZakk burger... I would eat one... It would probably be a beer flavored burger. He embodies every stereotype of what a rock star should be... and for that he's one of my favorites... SDMF...

damaged
02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
not in his playing in is persona saying f*** every second word being the beer drinking long haired endorser or every thing.... and how can people say yngwie malmsteen is over rated.....his known for speed thats what he delivers.....its personal opinions i guess

Jolly McJollyson
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
not in his playing in is persona saying f*** every second word being the beer drinking long haired endorser or every thing.... and how can people say yngwie malmsteen is over rated.....his known for speed thats what he delivers.....its personal opinions i guess
Zakk Wylde is actually a very nice guy in his personal life, though his stage persona be another.

No one disrespects Yngwie's speed, and if someone did, he would be wont to retool his ears. However, many people seem to think that simply because of his speed, Yngwie is the greatest guitarist to ever have lived. This isn't true, it's ridiculous.

jiujitsu_jesus
02-10-2006, 12:34 AM
not in his playing in is persona

I disagree - I think he's overrated as a player! I just don't understand why he ranks so high in so many "Top 100 Guitarists" lists. I mean, if you're looking for somebody who can shred the pentatonic blues scale at breakneck speed, he's your man; but if you're looking for someone who can play engaging, intelligent music and write and sing songs to boot... well, in my opinion, there are AT LEAST 100 gentlemen who would do a better job.

aschleman
02-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Check out anything off of Zakk Wyldes Book of Shadows CD... and also check out his side project Pride and Glory... niether are metal projects... Book of Shadows is an acoustic project and Pride and Glory blends southern rock with a blue grass twist... Also... Zakk probably ranks so high up on everyones top 100 lists because of what he did in the 80's as an 18/19 year old kid... It helps that you step in as a kid for one of metals greatest guitarists (Randy Rhodes) and go on world tours and write songs with metals most iconic lead man (Ozzy Osbourne).....so shall we not forget the Ozzy days.... and his songwriting with Ozzy... Sure, his stuff with Black Label may not be as intriquit as his stuff was with Ozzy... but I still like it for what it is... No nonsense, break stuff, drink beer, metal...

jiujitsu_jesus
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
but I still like it for what it is... No nonsense, break stuff, drink beer, metal...

A lot of people love that kind of stuff, but I can't stand it. I think it's because I'm still suffering from the trauma of being exposed to Motorhead at age five... *shudder* give me a softer band like Iron Maiden or Queensryche any day LOL

damaged
02-11-2006, 04:06 AM
lol wtf has any one read my first post, i also did not claim yngwie to best guitarist in the world as there is no such thing..... my first post is on page b4 this...... i say wylde is over-rated which he is.....he started playing at 15....his been playing for 15 so years now yet he has more signiture items them people who will destroy him in skill.....his a good muscian tho he writes everything for BLS I did a little back ground check seems cotriversial when some one say's his not good.....

jiujitsu_jesus
02-11-2006, 05:06 AM
his been playing for 15 so years now yet he has more signiture items them people who will destroy him in skill

Those signature items get on my nerves! "Wylde Wah"? Pfft, Kirk Hammett could teach Zakk Wylde a thing or two about using a wah pedal.

bigmarty
02-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Frank Marino, Gary Moore, Robin Trower,

jiujitsu_jesus
02-12-2006, 03:37 AM
I definitely agree with you on Gary Moore and Robin Trower. And Frank Marino... I've never even heard of him :o, so he must be pretty damn underrated!

bigmarty
02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
He's been around unfortuantly he doesn't get the props others get but he's good, very hendrix like but also very orginal too.Zakk Wylde always talks about him.If you can go find it check out Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Live.Also he has a web site with a lot of stuff there including a story about how Frank beat Ted Nugent in a headcutting contest onstage.

Jolly McJollyson
02-12-2006, 08:38 PM
lol wtf has any one read my first post, i also did not claim yngwie to best guitarist in the world as there is no such thing..... my first post is on page b4 this...... i say wylde is over-rated which he is.....he started playing at 15....his been playing for 15 so years now yet he has more signiture items them people who will destroy him in skill.....his a good muscian tho he writes everything for BLS I did a little back ground check seems cotriversial when some one say's his not good.....
Also, to correct some Math here. 15 years ago was 1991. Zakk Wylde's first studio appearance with Ozzy's band was the album "No Rest For the Wicked." Not only was that more than 15 years ago, Zakk Wylde was born in January of 1967. He's now 39 years old. So he has actually been playing guitar for 24 years.

aschleman
02-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Those signature items get on my nerves! "Wylde Wah"? Pfft, Kirk Hammett could teach Zakk Wylde a thing or two about using a wah pedal.

And Zakk Wylde could teach Kirk Hammett a thing or two about playing WITHOUT a wah............... I love Kirk Hammett... but talk about Effect abuse...

Another great great great guitarist is Joe Bonamassa... if you don't know who he is definitely check him out. He's Stevie Ray Vaugan with a twist. Hes a younger guy but he still gets no credit...

shredderkid25
02-13-2006, 02:54 PM
over: Tom Morello from Rage, nice use of an effects board, that is it
under: Dean Ween from Ween, brilliant but everyone thinks they are a joke band

jiujitsu_jesus
02-13-2006, 03:05 PM
over: Tom Morello from Rage, nice use of an effects board, that is it

Have a listen to "Born of a Broken Man", "Settle for Nothing", "Fistful of Steel", "The Bombtrack" and "Sleep Now in the Fire". He plays quite effectively using relatively simple effects (emphasis: relatively!).

Davido-inci
02-19-2006, 05:33 AM
No Chris, I agree with you. I think Clapton is indeed overrated. Did you guys saw The Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarplayers of all time? Take a look at it. You'll be suprised who is overrated and underrated. They had put Eddy van Halen on number 77 (!!!) and Curt Kobain en Jack White (yes, that dude of the White Stripes) nearly in the top 20!!

The list is a nightmare for every guitarplayer.

Greetz,

David

jiujitsu_jesus
02-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Wasn't Brad Delson from Linkin Park in there somewhere? :eek:

Akira
02-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Wasn't Brad Delson from Linkin Park in there somewhere? :eek:

Wouldn't surprise me.

jiujitsu_jesus
04-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Bumping up the ol' chestnut again. :D

UNDERRATED:

-Robbie Krieger from The Doors (genius with a capital G. One of the most distinctive rock players of the sixties, who unfortunately doesn't receive enough recognition)
-Curtis Mayfield (one of the most surprising rhythm guitarists I've ever listened to)
-Albert King (not only could he play mean lead guitar, but he had an amazing singing voice)
-George Benson (he mainly capitalises on his strength as a singer-songwriter, but he could easily outshine the likes of Al Dimeola and John Scofield as a full-time lead guitarist)
-Robert Fripp (far ahead of his time in his manipulation of effects, and also quite a good soloist)
-John Petrucci (I know! I KNOW I said he has overrated last time, but I've had a turnaround! I've listened to "Images and Words" and "Metropolis part 2", and I think he's so much better than the likes of Michael Romeo and Steve Vai, it's ridiculous. I still prefer Queensryche to Dream Theatre, though! :p )

OVERRATED
-Pat Metheny (yawn!)
-Ted Nugent (Johnny Weismuller could dress in a fur toga and prance around like a loon; does that mean that he was a good guitarist?)
-Michael Angelo Batio (if I wanted to listen to a series of intricately arranged but utterly tuneless blipping noises, I'd listen to my mobile phone ringtone)
-Steve Vai (technically amazing, but compositionally, his musical muses are eclipsed by his ego)
-Dan Jacobs from Atreyu (if I tune down, pick three or four power chords, and strum them aggressively, can I have a signature model as well?)

x0o_BurnOut_o0x
04-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Definatley Kirk Hammet, but for that matter all of Metallica. I like them, dont get me wrong but I seriously think they cant live up to the hype.
Kurt Cobain is another over rated one....but im not gonna get into that whole situation for fear of rivaling the king of long-winded posts himself.

ericthecableguy
04-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Bumping up the ol' chestnut again. :D
-John Petrucci (I know! I KNOW I said he has overrated last time, but I've had a turnaround! I've listened to "Images and Words" and "Metropolis part 2", and I think he's so much better than the likes of Michael Romeo and Steve Vai, it's ridiculous. I still prefer Queensryche to Dream Theatre, though! :p )

It's ok. Petrucci is literally too good to be underrated.

OVERRATED
-Dan Jacobs from Atreyu (if I tune down, pick three or four power chords, and strum them aggressively, can I have a signature model as well?)[/QUOTE]

Dude, benji madden gets his own music man. With that theory, we should be playing diamond harps.

jiujitsu_jesus
04-06-2006, 03:05 AM
It's ok. Petrucci is literally too good to be underrated.

Naw, I think he's definitely underrated. Steve Vai gets all the kudos, but Petrucci owns Vai's butt in my opinion.

Akira
04-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Personally, I think Vai is neither overrated or underrated.

I think he's god damn amazing.

acapella
04-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Know who I think is over rated? Keith Stupid Richards. He's cool and all but his guitar playing is nothing special.

aschleman
04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Know who I think is over rated? Keith Stupid Richards. He's cool and all but his guitar playing is nothing special.

You're probably a little jaded to make that statement... Think back to the 70's when the Stones were just getting started....... Kieth Richards guitar playing was breakthrough. No one had mixed rock and blues like that aside from Jimi Hendrix who did it in a more psychadelic way... You have to see his playing through that time period... not the one we currently live in.

If you're going to view it through the eye of today you can even say that Jimi's playing isn't anything special... people cover it all the time... Black Sabbath is also nothing special... People have since advanced what they started.... View through the time period... and see what they were doing at the point... You can't compare it to the present time.

jiujitsu_jesus
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
You're probably a little jaded to make that statement... Think back to the 70's when the Stones were just getting started....... Kieth Richards guitar playing was breakthrough. No one had mixed rock and blues like that aside from Jimi Hendrix who did it in a more psychadelic way... You have to see his playing through that time period... not the one we currently live in.

If you're going to view it through the eye of today you can even say that Jimi's playing isn't anything special... people cover it all the time... Black Sabbath is also nothing special... People have since advanced what they started.... View through the time period... and see what they were doing at the point... You can't compare it to the present time.

I agree with you about Keith Richards, but I disagree about the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Black Sabbath being nothing special by today's standards. I think both bands were far ahead of their time in the way they made music, and if they had released it today instead of forty years ago, it would still be regarded as "extraordinary". I mean, okay, you've got bands like Lamb of God who have pushed the boundaries of technical rhythm guitar, but I doubt even they could come up with a great riff-based song like "War Pigs" or "Hand of Doom". And there are guitarists like Tom Morello and Steve Vai who have done some extraordinary things with modulation effects, but "All Along the Watchtower" easily stands in line with their efforts. I think you can compare musicians from past eras with contemporary musicians - but only to a certain extent.

aschleman
04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I agree. I was simply using those as examples of people comparing there music to todays... I still think Sabbath and Jimi would be held in the highest respect even today.

jiujitsu_jesus
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I agree. I was simply using those as examples of people comparing there music to todays... I still think Sabbath and Jimi would be held in the highest respect even today.

Oh, sorry! Oops... :o

aschleman
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
No worries. I was a little unclear in my statement.

ericthecableguy
04-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Naw, I think he's definitely underrated. Steve Vai gets all the kudos, but Petrucci owns Vai's butt in my opinion.

Maybe not so much underrated, as under exposed.

Jolly McJollyson
04-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Who the **** underrates John Petrucci? There is no one on EARTH who would say Petrucci is anything less than a phenomenally talented player.

I dunno about owning Vai, though...Petrucci's legato and tapping certainly aren't quite on par with Steve Vai's level. Also, I'd say Vai has the edge in sweeping as well.

jiujitsu_jesus
04-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Yeah, Eric hit it on the head, I meant under-exposed in the first place. Sorry for not being clearer... :o :o

mkrty05
04-12-2006, 04:31 PM
How good do you guys think Eddie Van Halen is

Jolly McJollyson
04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
How good do you guys think Eddie Van Halen is
Not as good as George Lynch of Dokken, to compare him to someone from a competing band of that era.

I personally think Van Halen was a phenomenal band before Sammy Hagar. The best song they had with Hagar was "Up For Breakfast" and, honestly, that song would have sounded SO much better with Roth's voice. Personally, I don't think Eddie is overrated, though some here would disagree, I believe he gets the credit he deserves, take a good listen to "Atomic Punk" and tell me that's not a great guitarist, seriously.

Still, I mean, people like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Ron Thal just blow Eddie out of the water in the same way SRV blew everyone before him out of the water in blues

ericthecableguy
04-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Eric hit it on the head, I meant under-exposed in the first place. Sorry for not being clearer... :o :o

Buddy, there's no need to be embarassed. And there's definately nothing to be sorry for. Hakkunah Matata

~candi~
04-13-2006, 09:03 AM
over=Ace F.KISS Even i play that good.
under=Zakk W. He contiues to WOW me. And his live
stuff! he's a well rounded player for sure.:cool:

Zakk Wylde is most DEFINITLY underrated...he is a complete legend

Jolly McJollyson
04-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Zakk Wylde is most DEFINITLY underrated...he is a complete legend
Here's the thing about Zakk Wylde: everyone recognizes his speed. But I think this thread has examined the weaknesses of Zakk Wylde's style, for instance his repetitive pentatonic licks, that really hamper listener response. Zakk's just too much of the same thing for me. His music is like paint by numbers. Lay down a single-note rhythm, add the same pentatonic shred you've done for years, say the word "****" a few thousand times and you're good to go. If anything, Wylde is widely overrated. Plenty of people would go around saying "Zakk Wylde is the greatest guitarist ever," but few people would say that about someone like Jerry Cantrel.

magicninja
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Well I guess people figure Randy Rhoads was a God and Zakk obviously could do the things Rhoads could do cuz Ozzy picked him......but when it came time to write his own stuff he fell short.

That being said I think I'm underrated! :eek:

Kevin Taylor
04-13-2006, 11:10 AM
At the risk of offending anyone:

I've never understood the idolization of Jimmi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and BBKing.

I just don't get it.

Jolly McJollyson
04-13-2006, 11:14 AM

I've never understood the idolization of Jimmi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and BBKing.

I just don't get it.
Well, with Hendrix, especially if you look at the Band of Gypsies "Machine Gun" you can hear him develop just hundreds of licks that any lead guitarist ignorant of them today would look like a complete doofus.

BB King, for my money, is the most overrated guitarist in the history of any object ever. He doesn't play rhythm, he constantly slides out of key, he needs the BEST backup band in the freakin' WORLD to keep up with his never-ending stream of mistakes, and his style is repetitive. Now, I don't mean he's repetitive in the sense that all blues is repetitive in some way. I mean that the three notes he plays in his solos are usually the same friggin' three notes.

earthman buck
04-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Plenty of people would go around saying "Zakk Wylde is the greatest guitarist ever," but few people would say that about someone like Jerry Cantrel.
And there's my vote for most underrated guitarist. Jerry Cantrell. He's completely awesome, and even a lot of guitarists don't know who he is.

ericthecableguy
04-13-2006, 06:13 PM

I just don't get it.

Let me first attach my body armour.

Jimi is idolized cause he's dead. People worship him for some reason.I personally have no respect for the man, besides the fact that he was decent guitar player.

He was a hypocrit. He said things like "I'm all about peace and love" than, would beat women with bricks because they went to Noel's hotel room instead of his.

I also look up to the right people, like my father. Not some hippy who killed himself in his 20's on drugs-that's the kind of person kids worship...geez.

My 2 cents.

magicninja
04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Going off what Jolly said. I couldn't help but notice how the riff to Sabbath's War Pigs sounded like Jimi's Foxy Lady.

damaged
04-14-2006, 12:18 AM

I just don't get it.

Me neither except.
Hendrix pretty much invented how to use the electric guitar. No one used it like him.

No hendrix=No satch
No hendrix=No Vai
No hedrix=No Yngwie malmsteen
theres more but i cant name of top of my head :cool:

damaged
04-14-2006, 12:26 AM
No Hendrix I doubt the guitar would be where it is today, so its not to smart bringing him down.

1. I wonder how many wahs there would be today.
2. I wonder who would be the virtouso's?
3. I wonder if there would be half as many guitar effect companys today.

No electric guitarist should not respect jimi. If it wasnt for him you wouldnt be playing. mabey not a direct influence.

This post is'nt in reply to schmage.

Akira
04-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Jee, I think there may be just a few assumptions in the above 2 posts.

Kevin Taylor
04-14-2006, 06:53 AM
> This post is'nt in reply to schmage.

it's schmange!!! dammit.

magicninja
04-14-2006, 06:59 AM

it's schmange!!! dammit.
Happens alot huh? I'm guilty too.....but 6 consonants and only two vowels it's gonna happen.... :)

CW14
04-14-2006, 09:00 AM

it's schmange!!! dammit.
http://www.endor.cz/skladacky/mage_ice.jpg

Akira
04-14-2006, 10:59 AM

it's schmange!!! dammit.

I wonder how many grey hairs you've accumilated due to people misspelling your name...

ericthecableguy
04-14-2006, 01:05 PM
No Hendrix I doubt the guitar would be where it is today, so its not to smart bringing him down.

1. I wonder how many wahs there would be today.
Probably just as many minus the henrix models.

No electric guitarist should not respect jimi. If it wasnt for him you wouldnt be playing. mabey not a direct influence.

Yes I would. I started playing because my friend got an electric guitar in grade 8, and I thought it was cool. I didn't even know who Jimi was at the time. Don't make assumptions so quickly please.

magicninja
04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
http://www.endor.cz/skladacky/mage_ice.jpg

OK guys I hate to do it but since he set himself up......

This^^^^is exactly the kind of thing that can't happen anymore. We were having a perfectly good discussion about Jimi Hendrix and the like. Suddenly someone posts a pic that has absolutly nothing to do with anything. Potentially destroying the thread. It's ok to do this sort of thing in threads that are made to be fun and silly but Please keep them out of serious threads. I'll ask that no one respond to his post or any like it in the future. We gotta keep this place organized guys. We can't fall into disorder anymore.

Kevin Taylor
04-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I wonder how many grey hairs you've accumilated due to people misspelling your name...

Just a few...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/ted.jpg

earthman buck
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Just a few...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/ted.jpg
Fecking hairs!

Father Ted rocks.

damaged
04-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Probably just as many minus the henrix models.

Yes I would. I started playing because my friend got an electric guitar in grade 8, and I thought it was cool. I didn't even know who Jimi was at the time. Don't make assumptions so quickly please.

Not as a direct influence, his influenced thousands of bands and millions of people, his not my favourite guitarist. But not respecting him would be stupid.

Rsam16
04-14-2006, 11:42 PM

I just don't get it.

Are you serious??? :confused:

Slowhand is da Greatest ;) :D

ericthecableguy
04-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Slowhand is da Greatest ;) :D

A slightly biased opinion... :rolleyes:

Rsam16
04-15-2006, 08:09 PM
A slightly biased opinion... :rolleyes:

slightly.........

jiujitsu_jesus
04-17-2006, 08:27 AM
BB King, for my money, is the most overrated guitarist in the history of any object ever. He doesn't play rhythm, he constantly slides out of key, he needs the BEST backup band in the freakin' WORLD to keep up with his never-ending stream of mistakes, and his style is repetitive. Now, I don't mean he's repetitive in the sense that all blues is repetitive in some way. I mean that the three notes he plays in his solos are usually the same friggin' three notes.

Bravo, Jolly! I've wanted to say that for so long, but I've been too afraid to do so in case I offended any B.B. fans!

I think Frank Gambale is perhaps a bit overrated, as well. He's technically accomplished, but his improvisational style is a bit too messy for my tastes - he can't hold a candle to the likes of Allan Holdsworth or Al Di Meola, with whom he is popularly considered to be in the same class as.

Fenderalltheway
04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, I think George Harrison is extremely under-rated.

classicallives
01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim. his speed is prolific but the depth in which he constructs his music is second to none. someone like blackmore was OKAY but his soloing was dull and listless. that style of blues, funk rock takes no where near the ammount of dedication and tecnhique that classical style playing does, alot of malmsteens songs are derrived and inspired by bach, vivaldi, paganini, especially paganini and his music was largely performed on violin which is tuned in 5th and to play it on guitar is immensly difficlt. his style is broad and solos are full of passion and life, none of the formentioned guitarists even come close to his skill and technique maybe hendrix vai and satch but besides that, no funk prog blues querky guitarist comes close :)

JonChorba
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I always thought Lindsay Buckingham was always underrated.

shaniab
01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I am going with lalimacefolle on this one, James Hetfield is not only a monster rhythm player ( still don't know how he plays battery and sings at the same time ) but he can EASILY take on Kirk Hammett and win. I am a HUGE met fan and love both of them, but James can beat Kirk hands down, anybody ever here him play Ecstacy of Gold live,

in youtube type in "metallica Ecstacy of Gold live 2009". James plays the solo and KILLS IT!!! He even uses the wah and doesn't overpower the solo with it. He is a really underrated lead guitarist

Slipin Lizard
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim.

Its an opinion, not a claim, so its not groundless. Just because something is difficult to play does not mean its good music to everyone's ears.

Jerry Dylan
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
over: I've got to say that Clapton is a little overrated and John Mayer. John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under: Albert Collins and the most powerful blues ever. he is so soulful and always has a great funky Rhythm Section.
also, Jerry Garcia, his pharsing is stunning and his triplet runs are completely unique
Dickey Betts, he has always been in Duane's shadow and he wrote some of the biggest Allman Brothers hits as well as playing some solos maybe better than Duane
As for Jimi I think he is underrated in the sense that he did so much for the electric guitar. We remember him for "Purple Haze" and "Fire" when his best stuff wasn't the hits. Listen to "A Merman I Should Turn To Be", "Who Knows" "Machine Gun", "Bold As Love", and "Voodoo Chile" (the bluesy version) then tell us he was overrated.
Also Jack White is a better guitarist then people give him credit for. I can't listen to Dead Weather or the Racontuers, but the White Stripes had some really great blues stuff.

JonChorba
01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
over: John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under:
also, Jerry Garcia, his pharsing is stunning and his triplet runs are completely unique

I hear where you're coming from with Mayer, but I disagree solely on the grounds that the majority of people know him as more of a love song writer than as a guitar player. I only knew him as the dude that wrote "Your Body's a Wonderland" than saw him with Double Trouble on Austin City Limits and went, "Wait a second here.."

Totally agree with Jerry though, much respect!!

Jerry Dylan
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Yeah Jerry should get more credit than he does now.
john is good because he versitale and can write "Your Body is a wonderland" and play with Double Trouble. But I think if you look at him from just the blues side of it he's playing alot of what has already been done. That being said he does it really well!

Justin.Ferrari
03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
over - yngwie malmsteen - too much 80s flash :P
under - Billy Sheehan (bass) but damn is he good

over - rusty cooley - just too much shred
under - alexi laiho - just the right amount of shred (under-because hes metal)

that is all :) love this forum btw!

bodomshred
08-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Overrated: who cares?
Underrated:
Warren Demartini
Shawn Lane
Jari Mäenpää
Janick Gers
Roland Grapow