PDA

View Full Version : stage presence.. (cool stuff to do on stage?)

sixstringshredda
08-11-2001, 10:38 PM
ok..
i had a really big concert today... we blew em away.. but i still think our stage presence could be better.. does anybody know any kewl tricks that look flashy onstage..
i saw one guy once, flip his guitar underneath his right arm and bring it around over his left shoulder and catch it.. ive been trying to do somethin like that.. but its hard..

oh well

let me know what you think

Purikah
08-12-2001, 05:19 AM
I wouldnt suggest spinning your guitar unless youre capping the straps onto your guitar. And even then u should make sure u have plenty of room. Back flips r always good but i spose its hard to play when doing one. hmmmmm

sixstringshredda
08-12-2001, 02:09 PM
guitar straps are capped... now come on people.. you gotta have some advice on making stage presence better.. any ideas to work other members of the band into the action. coordination? come on...

skee1
08-12-2001, 11:47 PM
I Don't think you need to do back flips,
to to have good stage presence.
Just have the band move a little and look like your,
all really getting into it.
Which really you should be rock'n out anyway.
if your bands any good you should'nt have,
to peform a circus act.

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 08-13-2001 at 01:24 AM]

Hootayah
08-13-2001, 12:43 AM
Play a lead solo and solve a rubics cube at the same time.
That'll impress em. :)

Barreta_jetstream1
08-13-2001, 01:48 PM
learn to play a solo behind your head. seriously!! i did it once to cap off a Hey Joe final song and u could here the jaws droping at the back of the room. 3 pieces of advice though:-

1. Cheack the crling height behore hand, in pubs theg can get pretty low
2. Only play high up, around the 12 fret (ideal for Hey Joe in E). try it and u'll find out y
3. Practice!! u'll look a right dork if u mess it up

Joseph
08-13-2001, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by skee1
I Don't think you need to do back flips,
to to have good stage presence.

True. A lot of people too much about their stage presence to the point where their music suffers as a result. If you're not recieving the right reaction from your audience, perhaps it has more to do with their material instead of how much times you jump up up and down. It's been a while since I've been on stage, but I'm just not5 the type of person who can stand still, I like to move around alot, where I keep walkin from one side to the next intil I find my sweet spot. And I then I keep moving again. I've always found that it helps to talk very natural with the audience, as if they're your long lost friends. Because you have to find a way to feel comfortable with all of these people to play at your very best.

-Joseph

sixstringshredda
08-13-2001, 11:27 PM
we dont jump around to the point where the music suffers, we're not punk (thank god).the material is fine.. we get a great response from the crowd.. i just wanna know any kewl ideas to make us looked coordinated.. so we're not doing our own thing.

thanks..

ps.. i would never let the music suffer for stage presence
thats a big NONO in my book.

tony

hendrix_jimi
08-14-2001, 10:07 AM
i think that sometimes the music suffers because of a lack of stage presence. i saw b.b. king live just a few years ago, and he now plays sitting in a chair. the music was alright, but it lacked a certain energy or passion that i was able to catch even off a t.v. recording of one of his earlier concerts.

or, for example, take pink floyd. currently my favourite band, but the reason for their fantastic light shows is because none of them does anything interesting while they play.

my personal feeling is that, if you're going to play live, you should have a good stage act, or else why not just buy the cd?

sixstringshredda
08-14-2001, 05:16 PM
for once someone agrees, thank you jimi.. take tool for instance.. they have no stage presence whatsoever, but they have amazing lights and graphic projections..

now say you can play the music flawles AND incorporate and act into it. wouldnt that be something to aim for? in the studio we are musicians, on stage we must play the entertainer, otherwise, like jimi said, the audience may as well buy the cd.

now come on people, i turn to this forum all the time for advice and i even put my two cents in every now and then, but lets get this topic big, whether some of you want to admit it or not, stage prescence is a big part of a performance.

i wanna create a list of kewl things do on stage (stage prescence ideas!) and lets associate acts and actions with a style of music..

lets get a huge list going..

shredda

Joseph
08-14-2001, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by hendrix_jimi

my personal feeling is that, if you're going to play live, you should have a good stage act, or else why not just buy the cd?

Yeah, but sometimes the music does speak for itself. Personally, I would much rather see move movement on stasge in most cases, because yeah it does tend to get boring after a while when a band stands in the same position throughout every show. But, you see it's important for a bnd to feel comfortable on stage, and everyone just doesn't care to bother with finding the perfect stage presence. This doesn't mean that they aren't serious with their shows, it just shows us that they would rather pay attention to their music and communicating with their audience through casual conversation.

-Joseph

sixstringshredda
08-15-2001, 01:16 AM
come on guys lets rock this topic.

1. Punk (stage presence is easy; look like a jackass)
a)Jump into the air when switching to distortion or a different part of a song {this can be coordinated with the rest of the band too, guitarist, and bass}
b)Wear assortments of ridiculous clothing that have nothing to do with your music.
c)Pretend like your singing out of key (oh no wait, thats just the music)
2. Metal
a)Grow long hair, it looks good when head banging.
b)Stagger around stage at the end of a song like you're dying.
c)Wear your guitar around your knees so you can bend over like a hunch-back (I DONT recommend this)
3. Rock
a)Throw a leg up on a monitor and tilt your head back when doing a thrashing lead.
b)Lift guitar into air as playing an ascending lick..

help me add to it folks...

skee1
08-15-2001, 11:17 AM
I've heard alot of bad sounding bands in all styles,
of music that could'nt play for shi* but they had a,
good mc.
Also i,ve heard a few that all they had was a lot of movement on stage but sucked on thier music playing.
BUT the people loved them.
I really think if your band looks like zombies on stage,
plus do'nt act like thier injoying what thier doing they,
will bomb.

Mark
P:s i;ve learnd thro the years even if your band is good,
or sounds good you have to also talk to the people,plus
move around a little.

[Edited by skee1 on 08-15-2001 at 12:24 PM]

hendrix_jimi
08-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sixstringshredda
come on guys lets rock this topic.

1. Punk (stage presence is easy; look like a jackass)
a)Jump into the air when switching to distortion or a different part of a song {this can be coordinated with the rest of the band too, guitarist, and bass}
b)Wear assortments of ridiculous clothing that have nothing to do with your music.
c)Pretend like your singing out of key (oh no wait, thats just the music)
2. Metal
a)Grow long hair, it looks good when head banging.
b)Stagger around stage at the end of a song like you're dying.
c)Wear your guitar around your knees so you can bend over like a hunch-back (I DONT recommend this)
3. Rock
a)Throw a leg up on a monitor and tilt your head back when doing a thrashing lead.
b)Lift guitar into air as playing an ascending lick..

help me add to it folks...

lol! the reason your list is so funny is because it's all true!

Raskolnikov
08-15-2001, 06:01 PM
My usual stage thing involves some jumping in place, some moving with the music, and when I have my wireless... a lot of running around like a mad man. If a place has two doors I'll go out the back/side door and in the front while still playing a song.

As for stage presance in general:
The best show I've ever seen is Ben Harper, and he sits most of the show. Clutch is awesome, but they only people you see move a lot are the singer and the drummer. Primus rocks, but Ler doesn't move much. On the other hand, Les is either doing a "mad jig" or marching in a circle (when not singing). Brain is a really animated drummer, but drummers don't get quite so much attention. Anyway, do whatever works for your band.

sixstringshredda
08-16-2001, 12:13 AM
finally we're getting some feedback here...
now, lets talk about building the audience up. what do you guys think is the most EFFECTIVE way to get the audience up and into the music? hand motions? saying something while the song is building up to a climax, whats your opinions?

thanks

tony

p.s. btw, how are those wireless systems? are the rumors true? do they cut some tone out of ur sound?

Joseph
08-16-2001, 01:36 PM
Anyone who has ever seen Soundgarden on stage, well you guys have noticed how this guy just stood in one position throughout the entire show. But it was almost as if he was mesmerized with his instrument, and that made him interesting to watch. With stage presence it shouldn't matter if you have fround the perfect position to attract your audiences attention, what truly matters is if you're comfortable, which expresses great confidence in yourself and your playing. And people notice that...

-Joseph

Zeppelin
08-17-2001, 07:42 AM
you can burn your guitar, or throw it into the amp, if you are rich enough to buy a new one after every show..
but seriously the most important thing is dont try to do "cool" things, if you are not sure they look cool, and dont put them in places they wont fit.. for example: a band from my town was playing in some club one day and their guitarist played the guitar behind his back.. now this is cool, only if you have a good powerfull solo, in his case he didnt have one so it just looked odd.
in my opinion the best is to move around like jimmy page did, he always looked cool on the scene, even if he wasnt jumping or something like that, his moves still were cool

Bardsley
08-18-2001, 01:23 AM
And playing the guitar with your teeth never seems to work when playing "The Boxer", I've don't know why....

Hootayah
08-18-2001, 06:43 AM
I gave up trying to 'move around' a long time ago. I've always had people tell me stuff like 'you weren't moving around very much'
I remember one time I got so sick of it that I went nuts onstage, jumping around and sweating my butt off. Sure enough after the show some guy comes up to me and says 'you weren't moving around very much' and I just about hit him.
As long as the music is good and I'm getting into it, that's all I care about now.

Super_Goldenhero
08-18-2001, 08:36 PM
set yourself on fire ... have sex change videos playing in the background ... shoot a shotgun off in the audience ... make fun of the audience ... play guitar spinning on your head ...

hendrix_jimi
08-20-2001, 11:17 AM
I saw a Pearl Jam bootleg video, and the bassist, Jeff Ament, and Eddie Vedder started to headbutt, sort of. They leaned the tops of their heads against each other, while being bent over, and sort of pushed each other back and forth. It did look kind of gay, but cool at the same time.

I think it looks cool when band members dance together or whatever, like playing back to back, or everyone getting together in a circle and someone dancing off in a corner.

Also, I think it's cool how Vedder climbs up around the stage; in the video I saw, he started to climb around and up into the catwalk above the audience during the solo, and then he climbed back down, body surfed and scrambled back to the stage, grabbed his mike, just in time for the singing to begin again. That was really cool.

Hootayah
08-20-2001, 01:42 PM
heh... I was in Toronto & and the opening act's lead singer tried to bodysurf... he jumps out over the crowd and they all moved away & he landed face first on the floor.
I guess the moral here is to only body surf when the audience likes your band.

Christoph
08-23-2001, 11:50 PM
Hmmm . . . if you're playing in a bar, try kicking over some tables, and if you have a wireless mic system, run around in the crowd and mosh people as you're playing.

Kevin Taylor
08-24-2001, 11:27 AM
I just remembered an opening act for Saga in Toronto a few years ago. They were some punk band which was a bad choice to begin with, but anyways. Half way through a song, the lead singer hocked up some phlegm and spit it across the stage.... instead of hitting the floor though, it landed on the bass players arm. We're all in the audience thinking 'eeeewwww gross'.... next thing you know the bass player reaches down and licks the snot ball right off his arm and swallows it.
That was about when the crowd lost it and started booing them and chanting "SAGA SAGA SAGA".....
I guess the moral here is if you're a punk band with no talent, never open up for a band with real musical talent like Saga... and if you're gonna spit... well just don't.

Christoph
08-24-2001, 11:58 AM
Lol.

Schmange, that's quite possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

Bardsley
08-24-2001, 10:52 PM
I second that. That is truly vile. I mean, I don't care whose phlegm ball it is, you just don't do that.

fendermonkey77
08-25-2001, 08:01 AM
In my book, stage presence is all about energy that's passed from the stage to the audience. Whether you're punk and thrashing all of the stage, or you're country and people can just see that the band is having fun...it will translate. The audience can feel if there is tension between band members...

Energy translates to the crowd....Music is the first priority.

chris mood
09-02-2001, 08:26 PM
Jim Morrison used to do some interesting things on stage, why not take some cues from him?

Raskolnikov
09-03-2001, 03:11 PM
I think the bottom line is that if you rock out (so to speak) and the croud can see you're having a good time, then everything will work out. It's cool to give people something to look at, but the fact is if they're having a good time they'll stick around.

mc9mm
09-07-2001, 05:19 AM
I have two advices for you..
If you want to flip your guitar Yngie Malmsteen style, make
sure that you:

1. Use a cheap and/or a broken guitar when you practice,
you dont want to accidentally throw your precious 1000$
ax out the window.

2. Make sure you use strap locks, that are on the strat
signature model mathias jabs. (The one i have, hehe)
Trust me, you will miss them when the strap gives up
in the middle of the flip.

Good luck flippinī.

mc9mm
09-07-2001, 05:28 AM
One helluva cool trick to do is to do the back-to-back
guitarist pose. (Now this only works if you
have two guitars,
but it might work with the bass to)
Ok you and your fellow guitarist have to stand net to eachother, and then you turn 90 degrees so that you are back-to-back. The turn your guitars so they like stick right out of your of your body.
(My explanations can be pretty hard to understand, but please have mercy, Im from Sweden)
Where was I..
Oh yeah, the guitar should stick out like your, uhmm..
Can I say penis?
Oh well just try it and eventually it will look realy cool.
(Maybe a bit too much 80s for some, but what the hell)
Have fun.

plague
09-08-2001, 10:26 PM
i cant belive no one has mentioned this yet on word is all that is needed KISS their shows are unbelivable unfortunatly the have recently stoped performing as KISS so ull have to see then on a video or something but they breath fire spit blood fire rockets off their guitars have 50ft high drum risers these guys are what this topic was made 4

Snacktruck
09-12-2001, 08:29 PM
fart in the microphone.

Devious21
06-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Thats childish tho
my friends band just stand there and although they are very good at playing they dont get much good feedback whereas the first time i went on stage we played jhonny be good as our finishing song and i was jumping around everwhere which got the rest of the band motivated n we got the loudest applause of the night
not bragging or anything

i get my inspiration from Frank Iero-My Chemical Romance

Weslaba
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Uhhhhhh... Ha. :o

ericthecableguy
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Farting in the mic is a great idea. hahaha

da_ardvark
06-23-2007, 06:07 PM
These are my thoughts on the subject. They are not correct in all cases, so spare me the "We this guy............." Comments.

Jumping around on stage and posing is used by most to make up for true musicianship. It's a gimmick at best. That said, if this is your cup of tea, then by all means jump, just make sure it doesn't cause your guitar playing to suffer. That is a sin I cannot forgive :rolleyes:

Akira
06-24-2007, 06:19 AM
I'd never force anything on stage.

Usually I walk just walk around, haha.

And have the odd Maiden side by side guitar thingy. :cool:

So long as you're in the groove it'll all come to you naturally.

Weslaba
06-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I never do too much when I'm playing either, but if I'm really feeling it, I might do a little Derek Trucks action, with a little head tilt and a facial expression resembling that of pinching off a loaf. :D

DAMAGED ONE
06-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I think I keep spinning around because I play old school (with a cable not wireless) and my cord gets all twisted up. :o

noisetherapy
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
for me its all about grooving unrhythmically to what you playing,kinda like dancing a polyrhythm to what your playing. in your head count 3 evenly spaced notes agaisnt the 4/4 your playing in. pass the golden butter!

cdm442
07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Play somethhing with your hand upside down over the top of the guitar. seriously, i do it

damaged
07-10-2007, 12:12 AM

Eww... MCR to are a disgrace to modern music :(

Weslaba
07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I second that. My dog could sound that good playing guitar if the right amount of distortion was used.

quickfingers
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
and why exactly is MCR a 'disgrace' again? i find the band to be a breath of fresh air into the powerpop/rock genre. i'm sure the guitarist could play circles around you, so why get butthurt about it? why do lonely guitarists get so angry and uptight when other guitarists make successful moves in music? so what if MCR isn't a second-coming of dream theatre. i've been a fan of them since their first album, and the progression is amazing. the opera house-style album they released a little while back is jaw-dropping, even if you don't dig the genre.

i guess my question is...why hate? i get down to everything. john lee hooker to coldplay to gg allin to the strokes to modest mouse to pink floyd to racer x to the cure to mac dre.

why can't people just love music for what it is? its called diversity. do you think MCR killed your music or something? who cares that people like them, honestly?

Weslaba
08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I still hate them. :D But that is a very good point. I wouldn't say people hate them tough, even if they say they do, cuz really they're just scared that they'll like something of the emo genre. I myself enjoy listening to Cheyenne Kimball... who cares if its pop, I LIKE IT! :cool:

Kevin Taylor
08-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Learn to solve a Rubics Cube. Seriously... I spent weeks learning how to solve a cube and got it down to less than 90 seconds, so I used it in a song once on stage. Totally freaked people out cause I was singing at the same time.
Don't make a huge deal of it though, just solve it and toss it aside like it was nothing special.

Another freak out is to use your hand as a puppet. Right in the middle of a song, pull your hand up and do ventriloquism to do a few lines, then push your hand away and go back to singing and act like nothing happened.

... then of course there's always the 'reciting Shakespeare' while you do a tapping lead'

quickfingers
08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
HAH, yes....the ultimate of all ultimates.

i guess the most metal thing you could possibly do on stage would be to have a lute solo.

Weslaba
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I think I missed the memo... inform me on what a lute is. :confused: :D

elklandercc
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty certain its an egyptian guitar like instrument. I did a project about ancient instruments and that was one of them, damn shame I didn't care much about it to remember.

hunter60
08-03-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm pretty certain its an egyptian guitar like instrument. I did a project about ancient instruments and that was one of them, damn shame I didn't care much about it to remember.

A lute? It's the thing that Sting played to kill his career before deciding that getting back together with Copeland and Summers would be a good idea. :)

Weslaba
08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Ha, my bad. :o I was really just pulling your leg because I though you mispelled "F-L-U-T-E" :D Seemed pretty metal to me. Heck, Jethro Tull anyone?

iiholly
08-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Learn to solve a Rubics Cube. Seriously... I spent weeks learning how to solve a cube and got it down to less than 90 seconds, so I used it in a song once on stage. Totally freaked people out cause I was singing at the same time.
Don't make a huge deal of it though, just solve it and toss it aside like it was nothing special.

Another freak out is to use your hand as a puppet. Right in the middle of a song, pull your hand up and do ventriloquism to do a few lines, then push your hand away and go back to singing and act like nothing happened.

... then of course there's always the 'reciting Shakespeare' while you do a tapping lead'

If I saw the rubics cube thing I would definitely throw my panties at you. :p

earthman buck
08-10-2007, 10:23 PM
If I saw the rubics cube thing I would definitely throw my panties at you. :p
*takes note*

fasteddie2
08-11-2007, 08:59 AM
finally we're getting some feedback here...
now, lets talk about building the audience up. what do you guys think is the most EFFECTIVE way to get the audience up and into the music? hand motions? saying something while the song is building up to a climax, whats your opinions?

thanks

tony

p.s. btw, how are those wireless systems? are the rumors true? do they cut some tone out of ur sound?
Why don,t you DUCK WALK like Chuck Berry.But seriously,this is only my opinion but it seems to me that if you feel your music and it shows your audience will feel it also.Audience participation is also good,we all like to feel like we are part of it.Don,t complicate it ,let it flow. FASTEDDIE2

quickfingers
08-11-2007, 11:47 AM
i recently bought an erhu (chinese violin) and started learning that. i'll tell you what....SOOOO epic. other than the fact that it sounds quite like a fly buzzing around, the shred possibilities are immense.

damaged
08-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Yo-Yo while playing one hand legato licks?

OR

I've always thought a table-tennis table on stage vs'ing the other guitarist (or bassist) while playing the song still :rolleyes:

jamesplaysgitar
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
i think playing over the top of your guitar is sick, or lifting the guitar by the whammy bar and making some wierd noise (IE:dragonforce) just try to picture yourself playing really cool, if its metal, sling your guitar low, i once saw a guy take his strap off and play some wierd hammer on/ pull off lick holding his guitar with one hand and putting his arms straight out to the side, just do what you think is cool

robolead
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Lol.

Schmange, that's quite possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

That made me laugh, cry and throw up in my mouth all at the same time! He has a gift :(

krusty224
06-07-2009, 07:17 PM
i would suggest jumping off your amp or during a solo or just during the chorus go back to back with your other guitarist/bassist